Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2005, Sourdough Krap-shoots

June 26, 2005, Sourdough Krap-shoots

6/26/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 6/27/05 8:27am
Well at the risk of being repetitive, Jeanette, Ron and myself headed back for round three at Sunrise. Ran into some drizzel on the way up but alas broke into the hazy sun right at the Sunrise parking lot. The nearby peaks were sticking their line, while they made another run. As it turned out it really wasn't as steep or skinny as it looked from the bottom. I got a cool view of Ron's arm to make him quit skiing and head down for the beer and bbq'd dogs at the car. Not much skiing, but still fun! 8)
Nice work on round three!  8) I may have to head back there for some July "patch" turns  ;)  
After our first, run my peers decided I should ski this skinny line,  
Is that "skinny line" at the bottom of Fear Factor?  Nice patch work Jerry  8)

Nope that's the newly named Peer Pressure A few degrees east of the famous Fear Factor 8)

Nope that's the newly named Peer Pressure

No wonder I didn't recognize the name (and my recollection of the Fear Factor view appears to be hazy after only a couple weeks ???); looks like a fun patch  ;)

I don't know, but I'm thinking the "twist" video is actually hard proof of a rough interrogation of Yasir Arafat on the harsh and unforgiving slopes of Rainieramo.

Finally, I know Mad_Dog's true profession.

Once we got to our destination, Jerry was deciding his plan of attack  :D. Ron and I followed Jerry's lead, having a great time skiing the corn. Once again no rocks  ;D.  At the bottom, we loaded up, booted up, and took advantage of the clear skies, and good snow before the clouds rolled in and the visibility went away.  There are still some fairly good lines off the ridge, but I don't think it will last to much longer  >:(.  Even though the cloud cover came in, we still enjoyed swapping stories at our tailgate party  8).  BTW ALL the facilities are now open at Sunrise.

Nope that's the newly named Peer Pressure A few degrees east of the famous Fear Factor 8)

Us local kids call that line Chute to Kill  8)

Great pictures thanks for sharing. Glad that you got out. I was fooled by the cloud cover. It is good to see that the weather was nice above 6000ft! I decided to go for bike ride to try and find my avy probe I lost in the winter. Got to the trail head stretched, prepped the bike and forgot my bike shoes  >:(. I like the irony of searching for a probe.
The Slush Cup should be coming up soon...
Joe

JW.... high five!

...fun patch

Cass, you just used the words 'fun' and 'patch' in the same sentence... ;D

Cass, you just used the words 'fun' and 'patch' in the same sentence... ;D

I have no idea what you're talking about  ;)

jw, jeanette, and ron j--you guys are animals!  way to ski those chutes down to the base.   ;D

...way to ski those chutes down to the base.   ;D

oh, like this (sorry, i can't reveal the location.  it's one of our secret stashes...)

......way to ski those chutes down to the base.   ;D
It sure saves the "geezers" on the tourture points when it's so close to the car  ;).  

oh, like this (sorry, i can't reveal the location.  it's one of our secret stashes...)

Unlike Kam's "secret" stash, with photo, mentioned above  ;D, now that is really skiing down to the base. Way to go Kam and co., you keep us all well entertained with your never ending source of imagination.

Kam - That "stash" looks a lot like one we did this last winter...
ours was more remote though; no double yellow line on the highway below.  I think I'd best refrain from bugging you about the location of yours though, I'd be concerned about the exposure (i.e. the risk of falling into oncoming traffic).

Got a few shots up to give y'all some additional flavor from Sourdough III...

Here's:
JW & MadDog HighFivin' the fact that we've found the cloud tops at Sunrise.

MadDog getting first tracks

Then Jerry

MadDog again
and again

Jerry in upper "Peer Pressure" AKA "Chute to Kill"
Jerry - PP #2
... & that's a wrap

Packing up for the last climb out (shows the line where the geezers were skiing).

Almost out (geezer line: directly behind these two.  "Peer Pressure": just off of Jerry's left binding toepiece (right side of picture).

Topping out. Jeanette appears happy to have completed the climb; but Jerry seems to have become distracted while practicing his rock levitation skills. Nice trick, eh?

The clouds  joined us on our way back to the parking lot and hung around us while we all practiced the
"disappearing weenie" trick

RJ-Looks like you have the hang of the new camera. Those shots looked super! I took a hike today around Chinook Pass today and you folks hit the only stretch of snow that is so close the the road.

Reguarding that shot of Kam. Does that right ski look broken?
Joe

Regarding that shot of Kam. Does that right ski look broken?
Joe
It sure does... or at least heavily flexed.  It kinda looks like the skipper's Mira's; and he likes skiin' that kind of stuff, might be him in the pic.

Reply to this TR

june-26-2005-sourdough-krap-shoots
JW
2005-06-27 15:27:19