Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2005, Mt Baker via Coleman

June 25, 2005, Mt Baker via Coleman

6/25/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kenji on 6/26/05 9:12am
Hoping for afternoon sun, four of us left Seattle 5:30.  Apprently it had rained and hailed earlier, it was starting to dry out as we started out.  The Coleman is showing some openings even on the standard route.  One would need to be carefull if whiteout.  Above the saddle at 9000', we saw Kam's  party skiing down Roman Wall on great corn snow.  (We didn't  realize who they were until later after skiing).  The sun was trying to come out, but some clouds were above us until around 3pm shortly after the last of us (me of course) summited.  Upper 1500' was beautifull skiing down to the saddle, then the snow got a bit sticky.  But we had no complaint for ~5000' of great skiing in sunny afternoon.

One photo of Baker and Coleman Gl.  Paul or Rich may link more pictures.
"Kam's group" included John Mauro, Matt Peters, Kam, and myself. We arrived at the trailhead ca. 11:30 on Friday night and fell asleep under starry skies. After sleeping past our 3:45 alarm, some light drizzle around 4 am got us out of bed and on the trail by 5 am (nothing like rain for motivation!?#). It drizzled a bit and clouds came and went over us, but as we approached the Roman Wall we ascended above the clouds and were treated to a clear summit. The skiing up high was nice, as Kenji noted. Some photos from our trip can be viewed here:

No waterskis, Kam? What happened? Did the Klown get too Doinked?

Phil, those photos are phantastic!

-Phil

Phil H,

I agree with Philfort,  you have some wonderful shots in there!

JimmyO

No waterskis, Kam? What happened? Did the Klown get too Doinked?

Paul: the Mega Bonks are the skinniest, and probably the lightest, skis i own.  i needed all the help i can get to keep up with Matt, John and Phil.  the first few turns on sidecut was interesting though...

Kenji, Paul and others: sorry for not being more social.  but it was great to see you guys up there.  and silly that we skied by and did not made eye contact.

some photos
1. John Mauro approaches the Roman Wall.
2. Sherman Peak pokes through the cloud deck.
3. Dr. Peters approaches the summit of Baker.
4. Matt.
5. L-R: Matt, John and Phil on the summit.
6. Phil skiing down the Roman Wall.
7. Phil again.
8. Light on crevasses.
9. John.
10. ants on glacier.
11. Matt and Phil, stop for a second.  can i make a photo?
12. Phil.
13. happy TAY skiers.

Indeed, those are some great action tele pics! What camera/focal length were you using for the tight skiing shots, Phil?

Kam, your pic of Phil skiing down the Roman Wall is outstanding!

I agree that everyones' photos in this thread completely rock.  

Greg, I cheated and looked at the summary details in the file header of one of Phil's images. He used a Nikon D70, and in the photo I looked at he used a focal length of 62mm.  I've done this to Kam before too and have determined Kam also uses a Nikon DSLR (you probably know that). So there were two Nikon DSLRs on this outing, what geeks! ;-) Those Nikons sure take great photos, the colors are very vibrant! Though I think a Cannon EOS Rebel XT is in my future if I ever go DSLR, it's so tiny!

...So there were two Nikon DSLRs on this outing...

yes, Phil and i own Nikon D70s.  i brought along two lenses: 18-70mm and 10.5mm.  i think Phil used a 28-200mm -- much, much longer piece than both of mine combined....

Yeah, one thing that hanging out with Kam has taught me (other than that I'll miss his infectious good humor when he's in Virginia) is that I need a better camera. A black Rebel XT is probably in my future - 8mp, really small for an SLR, and we've already got several Canon lenses in the family . . .

Wow -- I guess I don't really need to respond (I didn't know all that info. was in the file header - kind of freaky), but thanks for the photo complements. And hey, if we're geeks for having two D70's, then Jeff, you got be included for looking at the headers  ;). Where'd you find that info.?

I confess I just got a D70 about a month ago, and this is the 2nd ski trip it's been on. I shoot about 4 times as much with the digital and have a 35-200 mm lens (with the 200 mm equivalent to a 300 mm in 35 mm format). With good skiers (e.g. Matt, John, and Kam), it's easy to get good shots with continuous focus, continuous shutter release, and the zoomer.

- Phil

Looks like there were a lot of good photo-skiers on the Baker last Saturday.  Beautiful shots Kam.  Here's my febble attempt to catch Nick in action.  I think he beat the climbers back to camp.  

Yeah, one thing that hanging out with Kam has taught me (other than that I'll miss his infectious good humor when he's in Virginia) is that I need a better camera.

I concur Greg. I love my N80 but as you might notice my slides are  s  l  o  w  to appear on TAY or even before friends.

Kuddos to your fabulous photos Kam and Phil. Inspirational. Kam, I particularly love the "gear sale" photo on the summit of JM, MP, and PH. So colorful.

-Jessica

Great shots, guys.  This comparing photo stuff is neat.  I guess we were bit out-gunned in the camera dept.  My tiny canon s1 doen't cut any more after only 1.5 year.  So where is Paul? We need his photos too.

Thanks for posting the TR Kenji.  I liked our late start at 9am then catching that great sun break for the descent at 3pm.  Kam, and crew, nice to meet up with you on the way out if not on the slope.  You looked good flying by on our way up!  Thought I saw a few SLR's being slung around -- really fantastic pics.  Here's a few more shots to share (from a smaller Nikon 8400):

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=380178195

Paul

Fancy gear does have a little to do with it, but geez, these photos are really awesome, surely that's the photographer's fault - now I know what crew to ski with if I want great photos of me!

Paul, your link doesn't seem to work, try this:

There are two advantages to going out with the ski papparazzi. Reliving all those wonderful images and a fighting chance for staying with the greyhounds when they slow down to take shots. Thanks for all your wonderful images. What timing! Going up with a cloud umbrella and just as we were about to descend--beautiful sunshine. Some of the best corn on the wall in this spring/summer of mush.
Phil gets the group A award and Paul gets the silver lens trophy for our older group B. Hey didn't we catch the speedsters at the bottom?

Greg, I cheated and looked at the summary details in the file header of one of Phil's images.

Jeff, how does one view the file header?

Nice pics Kam and Phil!

Most digital cameras add some exif data (shutter speed, focal length, ect.) to the header in jpgs.  Some editing programs can read them (Photoshop can for example, if you go to the file browser and click on the file the info will appear at the bottom of the window).  For those without Photoshop or another fancy editor, or those on Linux systems, jhead is a small open source program to read the headers.

Ditto what Matt just said. You can also see the header details in Windows XP. Save the image to your computer, right-click and go to 'Properties', choose the 'Summary' tab and hit the 'Advanced' button. Sometimes when the photo has been manipulated in an image program it'll loose this header information (as happen to my photos a lot with Photoshop).

Thanks, Matt & Jeff. I looked at one of Phil's shots of Kam in Photoshop and saw it was shot at f 8 at 1/1,000 sec. with a focal length of 175mm . . .

...Sometimes when the photo has been manipulated in an image program it'll loose this header information (as happen to my photos a lot with Photoshop).

in Photoshop when you "save for web" most of the header information is removed to streamline the file.

for those interested in photo-related information, i suggest the following sites:

http://www.photo.net  a wonderful site.  i spend way too much time here...
http://www.kenrockwell.com  great information, such as howtos and gear reviews, but Nikon-biased.

i love my D70.  there's a D50 that's lighter and cheaper.  it has the same important features as the D70, like 6MP res, but it uses SD instead of CF memory.

Great Photos, Great trip! 8) Thanks

Reply to this TR

june-25-2005-mt-baker-via-coleman
Kenji
2005-06-26 16:12:42