Home > Trip Reports > November 23, 2013, Winchester

November 23, 2013, Winchester

11/23/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by mastica on 11/24/13 1:46pm
We started skinning at milepost 4 where we parked the Camry and got passed by a 12 jeep convoy. Around 2 hours later, right before we got to Twin Lakes, we skiers passed the convoy of Jeeps! With their loud engines, gigantic knobby tires, and slasher attitude, they were spinning their wheels into the snow, moving at a stop and go pace, and having a blast. We had lunch at the lakes at 1pm as the jeeps pulled in.

It was my first time to the area, and I was amazed at the beautiful skiable lines everywhere I looked. Definitely worth a return trip! Snow conditions were better than expected€“still powdery in the shade, a little crusty in the sun, and a good 3 feet or so deep.

We skied up the the south side of Twin Lakes. and made up to 5800 feet at 2:45pm, 700 feet below the lookout before the setting sun and snowshoe malfunctions forced us to turn back, and got back to the car at 4:30, just as the sun set. Aditya had lost a glove on the way up around MP 4.5, but we didn€™t see it on the way down. It€™s probably buried under twelve treadprints, waiting until next July to surface again€¦

Full TR here:
http://rocknropenw.com/2013/11/24/winchester/
nice pano. twin lakes is a popular snow wheeling spot for the jeepers early season. another dump and it will be too deep for them fyi. Nothing wrong with having a little fun 4wheel style imo.

Yeah - the 4wd club is always up there a couple times this time of year.  I think it's pretty cool to see them make it all the way up there.  I've seen them do it in quite a bit deeper snow too.  They always pass you, and then you always pass them.

Reply to this TR

november-23-2013-winchester
mastica
2013-11-24 21:46:34