Home > Trip Reports > November 22, Heliotrope Ridge, variable conditions

November 22, Heliotrope Ridge, variable conditions

11/22/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by MtnPavlas on 11/22/13 10:52pm
The three of us parked on the FS 39 road about a mile from the trailhead due to low car profile - walked up the road with skis on packs, which turned out to be a good decision as coverage on the trail was not the greatest and thus we avoided multiple portages. Temps were well in the freezing zone and with ice chunks all over the road and trail we were a bit worried what we'd find up there for turns. We started skinning shortly below the tree line and enjoyed the stunning views of Mt Baker and the surrounding mountains - wow, is i April yet? Up on the ridge, the weather was warm (about 40 degrees?) and completely calm. Wind was at work some time before us, though, as the snow was definitely wind affected, resulting in variable conditions from a 1/2-inch crust on a foot of soft to some nice blower powder (up to 6" at places).

We skied from the right "summit" in the pic:

Did I say it was gorgeous up there today?

More photos here
Great pictures, Pavel.   Especially the last one hucking huge that big obstacle.  Sorry I missed the day.

Great touring with you!  Couple things to add: we saw only two other cars and no people all day, lots of untracked terrain all around, and I'm pretty sure our turns were more enjoyable here than they would have been closer to home!

Thanks for the report! That could and may be the first ski decent of the parking lot picnic table?! Have you checked Skoog's site? I am thinking you get to claim it! :)

That could and may be the first ski decent of the parking lot picnic table?!

The coverage on that table was better than in many of our local resorts at the moment so it was hard to resist :)

Anyone knows the contact for the Guinness Book of World Records?

Reply to this TR

november-22-heliotrope-ridge-variable-conditions
MtnPavlas
2013-11-23 06:52:21