Home > Trip Reports > November 21, 2013, Cascade Pass turnaround, avy

November 21, 2013, Cascade Pass turnaround, avy

11/21/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Troy on 11/22/13 1:32am
Surface hoar over breakable crust.  Crust was about an inch thick in places.  Recent avalanches from the Johannesburg side.  Extremely recent slides over the summer trail (not summer anymore!).  Brush blocking lower portion of a direct ascent to Cascade Pass.

Went up for some exercise, amazing views and hoped to camp at Cascade Pass but turned around because of avalanche concerns and brush.  I'm planning to wait on this trip until we get a super stable snowpack and no bushwhacking.  The direct route looks fun.  Summer trail is very dangerous at this time.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures later.  Got some great views of the couloir.

Be safe.  Have fun!

Cheers.
how far after the gate did you hit snow?

Avalanche concern from sun warming? I'm sure there were a lot of slides from the recent warming and rain event but I doubt that would be a concern now. 

Ditto on Pete H's question. Also, did you encounter breakable crust on sun exposed slopes?
Thanks for the Beta

author=n16ht5 link=topic=29712.msg124658#msg124658 date=1385144443]
how far after the gate did you hit snow?

I skinned from the car.  Parked at the gate.  However, snow was so thin that I kept my skins on for the descent.  A turn would have sent sparks flying, especially near the gate.

thanks. would it be worth it to skin up or walk tomorrow?

author=shred link=topic=29712.msg124684#msg124684 date=1385161996]
Ditto on Pete H's question. Also, did you encounter breakable crust on sun exposed slopes?
Thanks for the Beta

The avy danger I saw close up was on the summer trail.  If you had a small pack (I had my huge overnight pack) then maybe weaving through the brush would still make for a great trip.  I planned on the direct route to the pass, digging pits as I went but the brush looked like too much of a pain.

Unfortunately, I was in shadow and didn't get the chance to see if the crust survived the sun.

Cheers.

author=n16ht5 link=topic=29712.msg124743#msg124743 date=1385263272]
thanks. would it be worth it to skin up or walk tomorrow?

If you had a low profile pack and expert avy skills, a direct route to Cascade Pass might be fun.  Expect some brush hassle.

Please stay away from the summer trail.  Scary!

As you probably know, the views are amazing.  Almost worth it just for the scenery (but not quite).

I'll keep trying to post pictures but hasn't worked so far for some reason.

Have fun!

Cheers.

Pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111955726492601080503/albums/5949669358032563873?authkey=CMC2-oGY86GahgE

Hopefully this will work.  Let me know via PM if not and I'll try another way.

Nice pics Troy - I pasted in the images below using the "IMG" tag that's available in the posting page.

Hi Troy,

Thanks for the report and pic's. The slides in your photos sure look like wet slides from the rain event and resultant avy cycle. Note the fresh snow on top as the storm cooled off towards its tail end.

CJ couloir looks good up top but could use a bit more snow down low!

author=Pete_H link=topic=29712.msg124759#msg124759 date=1385313415]
Thanks for the report and pic's. The slides in your photos sure look like wet slides from the rain event and resultant avy cycle. Note the fresh snow on top as the storm cooled off towards its tail end.

Finally back from the East Coast (not a recommended ski destination!).

Pete_H, your words have iron.  The pictures I took all suggest slides from a previous avy cycle.  As I mentioned in my picassa link, the turn around was due to dire terrain and a fluffy (not wet) slide just around the bend that covered what looked like an hours old snow shoe track.  I got the hell out of there and didn't stop for pictures.

In my next post I'll aim to to more clear and less confusing.  My family trip made for a rushed and ambiguous report.

Cheers.

[img width=597 height=800]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1LxfiN7GzyU/UaVMDQTMoxI/AAAAAAAAAt4/v7kqgz4nHi0/s1600/approach.JPG" />

Touring the Alder in the valley is fun!  Best done in spring when it is still laying down flat :)

Reply to this TR

november-21-2013-cascade-pass-turnaround-avy
Troy
2013-11-22 09:32:22