Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2005, Mt. Winchester

June 25, 2005, Mt. Winchester

6/25/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sheispiste on 6/25/05 9:35pm
I was the last to load my skis on the cars. Amidst morning greetings with Allyson and Cass, Carter commented, "Great. All four of us on telemark gear today!" It took me a few minutes to understand what he meant. Cass left the Dynafits at home. He was out to scuff up those brand new Scarpas and put in some genuine genuflecting turns.

The drizzle began near Everett and turned torrential near Bellingham. It wasn't looking pretty. Yet, half way out on the Mt. Baker road the rains subsided, the roads dried, and we counted more than a few, albeit small, sucker holes. The last part of the road to the Twin Lakes trail head is rocky and rough going, yet snow free all the way to the lakes that were still as glass when we parked the cars. By the time we shouldered heavy packs, the ripples on the lakes told of the fortuitous shift in the weather. The approach to Winchester peak was mostly on trail; snow in intermittent patches eventually drove my companions to change out of tennis shoes or chacos to their boots. One higher, more solid, steeper and longer patch of snow suggested we all don the crampons.

From the summit, the views were hit and miss. While we lunched, I logged the lookout guest book and took out Carter's map of the North Cascades to orient myself in the fog. A patch of sucker hole sunlight hit a glaciated slope on Shuksan. We could make out the basin we intended to ski and traced a continuous route in the air. Cass dropped in first, bending the knee with style. Allyson faired well in the upper section and then was glad she wore the ski pants for her head first slow motion slide towards a rock run out.  Back on those free heel feet she continued to make great turns, a member of "Team Carter." The snow was buttery and sweet. A few larger rocks were certainly attempting to make an appearance yet we danced around them well. As we made our final turns, the weather seemed to make its turn too. The sun heated things up for our climb to the saddle which required a bit of shwacking. Marmots beeped in the basin below and the "thunder cats" were on the loose in the brush above. After Allyson's Silver Star shwack fest, I somehow knew that we'd be following her through her beloved terrain.  We traversed along the Low Pass trail, Canada's peaks waving clear hellos. Twin Lakes glimmered in the late afternoon sun. We were warmed by the whole day: the company, the good turns, the loop trail, and the better than expected weather.
  Even with your ominous start to the day, it appears that you had better weather than what we experienced on June 11. (see my TR from that date). I have played on the snowfield to the west of the summit, but I have never considered skiing all the way down to the High/Low Pass. How far from the Winchester Trail junction was your point of contact to the Low Pass trail?

Team Carter: sorry i missed the harvest.  good to hear that it all worked out.  i would have enjoyed seeing the Cass with half a binding...  however, i did manage to meet up with Ally-sone and Cass at Twin Lakes to camp for the night.  though i had skis with me, i did not partake. but i trust your "buttery sweet" description...

A great ski on Winchester indeed!
...and then there were 2, and the 2 headed up for a 2nd run over to the 2nd peak of the day; after the first half of the Winchester Crew departed for Seattle.  The beginner tele-crew (Allyson & I) packed our tele-skis up to the top of "Bare" (sic?) Mountain just east of Twin Lakes, beneath an ever-widening giant suckerhole in the clouds above.  Nice evening sunlight on a nearby peak greeted us at the top of Bare.  From here lay ~1,000 vertical feet of fresh softly-sun cupped corn down the broad northeastern ridge of Bare to the Lone Jack Mine road, near "Skagway Pass".  My tele-form felt much better (and lower) than earlier in the day on the generally mellow upper slopes of Bare.  The steeper sections brought me back to semi-chaotic combo tele-parallel turns.  Ally carved up some nice turns in the evening corn.  A couple hours after our return to camp at Twin Lakes, the Kamster pulled up the road in his truck to join the Bare Mountain crew's camp; following his car-to-car ski adventure earlier in the day on Mt. Baker.

Pics:
1.  Where's all the snow?! ???
2.  Ah, there's the snow! 8) (Jessica on the NW slope of Winchester)
3.  Carter drops towards the gully
After Allyson's Silver Star shwack fest, I somehow knew that we'd be following her through her beloved terrain
4.  Schwacking is fun!  ;D
5.  Ally scoping out the evening views on the ski down Bare Mtn.

How far from the Winchester Trail junction was your point of contact to the Low Pass trail?

Not sure what the distance was in miles, but it took us about an hour-and-a-half or so from the bottom of the ski run on the NW side of Winchester to traverse/bush-whack up to "low pass" (elevation ~5,700'), then follow the "high/low pass trail" out (patchy steep snow in places) to the junction with the Winchester Mtn trail, (trail junction a couple hundred feet from the trailhead at Twin Lakes) completing the loop.

After pulling out my top map, I can visualize your route down. I had thought that perhaps you had skied north-easterly on the steep ridge line from Winchester to the Low Pass trail. It looks like you had nearly 3 miles of hiking to get back to the Winchester trail. Add on the original 2 miles up Winchester and I would say that you earned those turns.   The photos from your trip show how much snow has disappeared in the last two weeks.

sweet day you all, and again (as it usually seems to be), we lucked out with the weather!  part 2 up bare (or bear?) mt. was a nice finish too, have to love the extra daylight!  thanks all for a great day, and i will try to post some pictures soon... ;)

Reply to this TR

june-25-2005-mt-winchester
sheispiste
2005-06-26 04:35:00