Home > Trip Reports > November 19-20, 2013, Eagle Pass, Gorge

November 19-20, 2013, Eagle Pass, Gorge

11/19/13
Posted by Skier of the Hood on 11/20/13 11:33am
Excellent skiing in the gorge the past two days. First day was knee deep ski pen making for difficult trail breaking, but the reward was very worth it. Did 300m laps above the road with faceshots all the way down to the car each time. 135cm snowpack depth was measured at 1600m.

Today the clouds lifted but it was -17C in the parking lot, so the warm clothing came out in force. The snow had dried out overnight but the ski pen decreased by about half. Awesome views on the small peak above km 15. Two excellent runs were had, once again right above the car. Noticed one small slab in one of the open NE facing bowls adjacent to a new skin track so I assume it was remotely triggered as it was not there in the morning.

The gorge is an awesome place but it only gets plowed when logging trucks are hauling so be sure to bring a radio. Seems to be very popular now with 10 cars full of people even on a weekday. I expect it will be a shitshow on the FSR come the weekend. If only the forest service would take notice of this popularity and plow the road every year.
Where is this place?  What gorge?  I'm assuming you're in Canada, due to the use of metric measurements.

It's roughly between Sicamous and Revelstoke.

Skier in the hood: PM incoming

Just found it....thanks.  Not too far from where I live. 

You can go on Sundays and not worry about logging vehicles. Single busiest day though...

This would be a prime location to do something like they have in Smithers

http://www.bbss.ca/hankin

They have cut runs plus they secured funding to get it plowed. It would take a dedicated group to get it done but it could be a big boost to the local area!

- cac avalanche center for snow info

Reply to this TR

november-19-20-2013-eagle-pass-gorge
Skier of the Hood
2013-11-20 19:33:22