Home > Trip Reports > October 29, 2001, Paradise, Mt. Rainier NP

October 29, 2001, Paradise, Mt. Rainier NP

10/29/01
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ema on 9/16/02 1:10am
I returned to Seattle Sunday afternoon after a six day business trip. Lovely views of the Cascades from the airplane window. For Monday the NWS predicted mostly sunny, 6000' freezing level, and light winds. It was overcast early morning, but I kept the faith. Longmire gate was open at 9 am. What I got was not my hopes: Clouds/fog, no views, spitting rain/snow, windy, flat light. Venturing above Panorama Point in these conditions would have been especially stupid. I dinked around (3300vf, 7 mi) above Edith Creek (Golden Gates, S facing was icy) and around Mazama Ridge (E facing aspects were best). Curiously the best terrain/conditions I found was untracked. Cover was 8-12 inches, but the snow was consolidated and dense, so I hit no rocks and spared the vegetation). Noted several recent discharges from rock faces some of which were fairly large, in the 'almost an avalanche' category. Encountered a couple on snowshoes on top of Mazama Ridge. No one else, but in places lots of tracks from yesterday.

Brent H

Reply to this TR

october-29-2001-paradise-mt-rainier-np
ema
2002-09-16 08:10:15