Home > Trip Reports > June 24, 2005, SW Chutes, Mt Adams

June 24, 2005, SW Chutes, Mt Adams

6/24/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 6/25/05 3:25am
My favorite characterization of the SW Chutes is from Lou Dawson in Wild Snow who in his blurb on the SW Chutes says, "Indeed, even if you're a skiing atheist, and you manage to carve turns down this amazing line, you might be convinced that, yes, there is a God - and yes, the Supreme Being must be a skier." (thanks Jonathan for finding that)

We got the SW Chutes in perfect conditions yesterday and though I don't think it prompted any changes in our theism beliefs, the above quote accurately portrays the quality of this descent.

Upper half of photo: Adams as seen from Trout Lake Friday evening with our descent start point, end point and the SW Chutes marked.
Lower left: Ann in the Chutes; Lower right: Andy with 2000' more vft of the chutes to go.

Since Friday was the last day with a good forecast, I traded the day in-exchange for working this weekend. Ann, Andy and I left Cold Springs slightly after 5am. We followed the summer trail in our tennis shoes ascending the ridge climber's left of the Crescent Glacier.  Above the Crescent, at 8400', we traded our tennyrunners for boots and skins. We skinned our way towards the False Summit, with Ann/Andy booting the final few hundred vft and me skinning with the assistance of ski crampons.  

It was moderately windy at the False Summit. From there we skinned to the summit, where we were greeted by , . What we assumed was the summit was actually, per the GPS, .08 of a mile from the true summit, though the point we were at visually appeared higher then the surroundings. We took photos and socialized on the summit with Max, a French exchange student who, in addition to recovering Andy's dropped helmet (thanks Max!), complimented me on my Dynafits and then told us how he used Dynafits when he raced the ).

We started our descent around 12:45. The snow off the summit was excellent softened snow. We traversed skier's right (west) around the top of Piker's and got a look into the chutes west of the SW Chutes that run towards the Avalanche glacier. They looked a bit rocky but would be fun to do in a bigger year. Once in the SW Chutes the snow was perfect corn, and surprisingly stayed that way for the entire 3500vft of the chutes. I had forgotten how amazing this run is, it just keeps going and going. Once at the base of the chutes, we traversed left and skied to the end of the continuous snow at 7035'. We were soon joined by

Note re USFS Fee Demo enforcement: I did get another USFS ticket on my car for not having a summit/parking pass. I had every intention of purchasing an annual summit pass, but since the USFS office wasn't open when I drove thru at 12:30am, I couldn't get the annual pass then, so I figured I'd just purchase it on the way out and since this was a weekday it was unlikely anyone would notice. This morning I did purchase a NW Forest Pass at REI and I sent off checks to pay both tickets. Is two tickets within 6 days some sort of record?
Nice report and pictures Jeff.   That was a great day.

So that means my helmet covered maybe 8000 - 8500 vertical feet yesterday?  As I was attaching my skis to my pack just below the false summit, I unclipped the strap that was holding my helmet and watched it slide maybe 2/3's of the way down the Suksdorf ridge.  Max was moving quickly (as someone who does a race like Pierra Menta might) since he was able to catch us at the summit.

Nicely done, Jeff, Andy and Ann! So Max was NOT using Dynafits on Friday? Perhaps booting up in Salomon alpine boots for extra training? I kind of assume anyone who races the Pierra Menta or the Patrouille des Glaciers is pretty much another species . . .

Max actually didn't have skis with him. I can only assume this is because his Dynafits must have top-secret modifications that he is afraid would get ousted if he used in the US ;-)

Darren and I were climbing up the ridge toward Piker's Peak with our daughters when we saw this rogue helmet making a beeline for Lunch Counter.  To learn that it was reunited with its owner and in fact beat us to the summit is amazing.

We skied from the summit at 1:00 PM and stayed to skier's left of the climb route.  Best skiing I have had in the state this year!

Great report.  I was pretty sure that there were other TAYers on the mountain Friday.

Nice trip, and what a great posting, thanks.

In your estimation would the SW Chutes be in shape to ski (assuming reasonable weather) on July 4? I have been busy with work and family responsibilities, but ache to get back there to ski the SW Chutes, especially after reading your post.

Thanks.

Olalla, was anyone in your pary by chance carrying two pairs of skis? If so I skied right by your party.

Yes.  Darren had pity on his daughter and carried her skis from the false summit to the top.

To me, last Friday is what summer Randonee is all about.

Looks like a great trip!!!!!!!!!!! Way to set the pass ticket record. Can you send me the gps routes of your trip if you have some free time.

Keep'em Turning.
MJ ///oregon.

Reply to this TR

june-24-2005-sw-chutes-mt-adams
Jeff Huber
2005-06-25 10:25:20