Home > Trip Reports > 15-17 nov 2013, party at steven's pass

15-17 nov 2013, party at steven's pass

11/15/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by bs. on 11/18/13 3:13pm
i'd known that things were looking good all week long as i watched the nebulous forecast evolve into concrete predictions of a big, cold storm.  but my plans were still a little uncertain until i heard the warning on the radio friday afternoon, "avoid the mountain passes tonight".  there would be no waiting for the morning, winter was here, and i wanted to get snowed on NOW!  surprisingly, i had multiple takers for my harebrained mission to go spend the night in the snow within an easy drive of home.

we arrived at steven's pass by 10pm, just as the news truck was leaving.  within minutes, we found the unplowed upper parking lot.  within a couple more minutes, i had suceeded in determining the deep snow traction limit of my van.  fortunately my friends were "very patient" about shoveling out the vehicle i'd intentionally gotten stuck while i took pictures.

a bit more digging and we found a nice cozy spot to camp.

there was an inch of new snow on the van by the time we got a tent set up!  nothing fills me with giddy childish glee like the first snowstorm of the season!

settling in for a stormy night.

after we dug ourselves out the next morning, i couldn't believe my eyes... only at mt baker had i ever seen so many people on a skin track!

not wanting to be deprived of the chance to do some trail breaking, we headed a different direction.

in a surreal turn of events, someone threw the bluebird switch.... for about 45 seconds.

crowds were not to be avoided on this day.

the hordes all drifted off as we neared the top and found ourselves staring down at what we came for--pow!

the last photo i took before my camera lens (along with everything else) was covered in snow.

they kicked us out of the lodge at 5pm, foiling our plans to get drunk & dried out indoors, so we retired back to the van to drink whiskey and smile at snow.

after a marathon session of sleep, we thought we'd go out for a bit of rock climbing...

...but the good cracks were all full of pow, so we were forced to snowboard instead.

not a bad way to kick off winter at the passes!!

Wow! Skyline lake looks like those crazy line ups on Black Friday!
It was nice to meet Y-all, and put faces to names.
I ended up moving my rig up to the RV lot, to Roll the High Life.

wow, looks like stevens was the place to be. way to slay it you guys!

Nice report!

Such a good weekend to kick off POW SEASON.

That's how you do it, right there..   8)

BS throwin down the sick reports as always

Good to meet you too Jeff.

The season is upon us...

Ahhh, frickin' rad!! Although I'm sorry to hear about that silly snow thwarting your climbing plans. Sweet ride, too. :)

Reply to this TR

15-17-nov-2013-party-at-steven-s-pass
bs.
2013-11-18 23:13:59