Home > Trip Reports > November 16-17, 2013, Lake Ann above Rainy Pass

November 16-17, 2013, Lake Ann above Rainy Pass

11/16/13
Posted by Animal on 11/17/13 1:02pm
Skiing above Rainy Pass by Lake Ann was amazing this past weekend!  It was a good trial for my new NTN bindings.  There was about two feet of good blower pow!

How do you like your Freedoms?  I like mine… but I feel the TX pros are too soft.  What boot do you ski?

I took my kids up there this fall for the first time when one of the first snows came.  I would really love to ski this area.  I haven't checked the road status… were you able to drive to the TH this time of year?  If not… I'd love to hear more of your itinerary and adventure.

Well it was my first day on the Freedoms.  To start with the "leverage" bar up front under the black clamping mechanism popped out from its placement, then one of the blue caps popped off.  I was able to fix both, and these failures did not occur again through the weekend.  I am a little worried that I had two gear failures in the first 1/2 hour of use because I one who is traditionally hard on gear.  The bindings once working felt very rigid and skied good.  The brakes at the sides were a little annoying because I kept steping on them.  I also have TX pro's 30 mondo size.  Yes they are much softer than my older green Scarpa boots that I used with my BD-01 bindings, but this seemed nice to me.  I have always liked softer boots.  this is my first four buckle boot.  I was trying to purchase the TX version but I could not find this in 30 mondo size so I went wit hthe TX PRO.
Thanks for the questions!

I learned on my freedoms, whenever I'm in powder, pull it in and out of tour mode fast and hard a bunch of times to get out all snow.  Mine released from ski mode into tour mode once on my first tour, but never since as I ensure the bindings are free of snow.

I'm really hoping they design something more streamlined and with less parts.  They are a very solid binding though.

nice job Animal.  I was out there with my wife, Lindsey (I'm Ben) and we chatted at the bottom of the run just above Lake Ann.  How was the night out?  We were glad to hear you had a book -- plenty of hours in a tent!! 

Cheers! 

author=wbk link=topic=29654.msg124587#msg124587 date=1385009291]
nice job Animal.  I was out there with my wife, Lindsey (I'm Ben) and we chatted at the bottom of the run just above Lake Ann.  How was the night out?  We were glad to hear you had a book -- plenty of hours in a tent!! 

Cheers! 

Actually I fell asleep and did not even read the book.  The 15 hours in the tent was, what shall I call it -  Classic Winter Camping!!!  It was nice chatting with you!  Great place to ski!

Reply to this TR

november-16-17-2013-lake-ann-above-rainy-pass
Animal
2013-11-17 21:02:32