Home > Trip Reports > November 15, 2013, Stevens Pass

November 15, 2013, Stevens Pass

11/15/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by mikerolfs on 11/15/13 7:33am
One run from Tye Mill on the backside; Smooth frozen groom with almost enough new to keep you off the base.  Could hear half the turns, other half quiet.  The base was solidly frozen until about 200 vertical feet from the bottom where the base became mush and the skiing got ugly.  We chose not to ski below this level.

On the way back, we met two other skiers (Leavenworth locals and the first other TTS user I've ever met in the field)  They were making laps on the groom run on the front side off Tye Mill.  Minor stream hopping and some deep holes made the dog nervous, but the skiing was fine. 

Before heading down we went up to the top of Hogs where we chatted with a lift op about season opening.  He said depending on tonight's dump, they might open the lower mountain on Sunday.  Wow!

The highlight of the day was our interview in the parking lot with the King 5 guys.  Reporter was a young transplant to the state who is also a backcountry skier.  He said we might see ourselves on the news tonight!

Skiing today was of marginal quality.  Skin from the base area, plus.  Surface quality - refrozen and lumpy, minus.  If it snows a foot tonight, I'll be back tomorrow.

Ankle deep to a small dog:

backside bliss

Jamie in his element:

the king5 guys

Looking to see you on the news, if not tonight then later in the weekend. This would be a cool Jeff Renner bit...

Hmmm; marginal day of skiing or great day of working? I'm guessing you won't fade into history saying you'd rather have worked one more day! Nice job gettin' it! Much better than last weekend's mash potato fest.

jtack and mikerolfs congrats.  Much more than fifteen seconds of fame on the King5 5PM news.  Strong work, no doubt someone will post the weblink so we can see your tv spot over and over.

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/More-than-a-foot-of-snow-expected-in-some-mountain-passes-232087971.html

Mike and Jamie, I bet those two reporters are eagerly looking at this website to see THEIR pictures!

Nice pics!  Too bad the dog didn't get on the news.

Enjoyed seeing the news clip while I was at work last night. Made me feel better and work harder to find time to get out in the next few days...

Thanks for all the nice kudos.  I have to add that it did snow, so we did go back.  It was a whole new day with big powder, deep turns, and smiles a-plenty.

Yeah dude.. today was so good!

Reply to this TR

november-15-2013-stevens-pass
mikerolfs
2013-11-15 15:33:09