Home > Trip Reports > June 13, 2005, Lassen Peak, Manzanita Creek

June 13, 2005, Lassen Peak, Manzanita Creek

6/13/05
US elsewhere
Posted by Amar Andalkar on 6/21/05 11:57pm
After skiing on Shasta and Shastina over the weekend with Jeff Huber, I headed south on Monday morning towards Lassen Park, catching some 2200 or 4400 pixels wide), including a perfect view of the , while the impressive cliffs of Loomis Peak towered overhead on the other side. I continued up the drainage and followed an obvious steepening gully heading west past Crescent Cliff, and soon I was rapidly ascending the west flank of Lassen Peak. 7000, 7500, 8000 ft, and finally I had reached treeline near 8200 ft, with an expansive view of numerous peaks throughout the western part of the park and all the way north to Shasta (see a 6-image panorama at 2 resolutions: 2500 or 5000 pixels wide). From the bottom of the face, it was quite obvious that continuous skiable snow extended all the way up the West Gully to the summit plateau. It was after 3:30 PM, I was out of water, and 3 pairs of AT skis sat uselessly in my car nearly 5 miles away. Somehow, this seldom-travelled route still offered over 3700 vertical ft of continuous skiing, the most of any route on Lassen right now, with well-consolidated corn snow that hadn't turned to mush even by late afternoon. And I was going to miss all of it. !@#$%^&*. "What do you mean you didn't bring skis?"

There was no point in hiking up the last 2000+ ft to the summit just to intensify my disappointment, so I took a lengthy break, finishing the few meager scraps of food I had brought and slowly consuming nearly a liter worth of fairly clean snow to rehydrate. The hike back down the snow was quick, plunge-stepping in such fine conditions was actually quite fun, and I was back to the Manzanita Lake campground in no time. Anyway, despite my lack of skiing I thought I should write a trip report about this route, because it was such a surprise to find continuous snow down so low into the protected valley at the foot of Crescent Cliff. The Manzanita Creek route is best known as a winter cross-country ski route to the 7000 ft meadows, but it clearly offers an excellent downhill ski run from the summit of Lassen Peak, with 4600 vertical ft in winter and early spring, and nearly 3700 ft remaining even into June, accessible by an easy hike on a smooth trail.

Amar Andalkar
click here for an enlarged version of this photo.

This was part of a week-long Cascade volcano ski road trip. Other trip reports:

Amar, Thanks for the excellent report and photos.  The Manzanita approach has been of interest and we'll try for an early spring tour.  It is amazing how much snow still remains at Lassen.  Zap

Reply to this TR

june-13-2005-lassen-peak-manzanita-creek
Amar Andalkar
2005-06-22 06:57:02