Home > Trip Reports > November 9, 2013, - Rock Mtn

November 9, 2013, - Rock Mtn

11/9/13
Posted by ErikT on 11/9/13 2:44pm
Perhaps the memories of attempting Rock Mtn two years prior made the idea seem worthwhile.... though I think it was mostly just uncreativity and the willingness to chase after last week's goods that had us land upon Rock Mtn as a destination for the day. There was at least a party or two ahead of us, and a few that came up behind us, so we weren't alone. Booted up to nearly 4600' before skinning looked reasonable. Snow turned lighter at about 5600', and we enjoyed great snow from our high point of 6200' down to 5600'. Can't complain for November... turns up high were great. More photos here.

Chiwaukums across the valley teased with some great views when they popped out:

Consolation prize... some good turns off the ridge:

Skis on the back again... with the road far too low below us...
so the DOT warning is about spent shells from avi control?  does that mean some didn't go off and are potentially live?

also, ever done the north face of Rock?

author=savegondor link=topic=29547.msg124058#msg124058 date=1384125809]
so the DOT warning is about spent shells from avi control?  does that mean some didn't go off and are potentially live?

also, ever done the north face of Rock?

I'm not sure exactly what the sign is warning about. It's positioned in such a place that it would make sense that is is indicating you shouldn't descend down to into the Schilling Creek drainage from the ridge that holds the summer trail on Rock Mtn. Perhaps this drainage gets shelled to keep large slides from building up that would fan all the way out to the highway?

Haven't yet done the north face. Looking forward to doing it in spring as part of a traverse (Rock>Howard>Mastiff). From what I've read most people wrap around the north face of Rock... probably not skiing down much of it?

There are similar signs elsewhere where DOT does artillery-driven control work. If you tour the NW margin of Stevens, for example, you'll find them. I think they're effectively "Warning, we have a howitzer (or a tank) and we will use it against this terrain. We don't want to shoot you with it, but we can't tell if you're there. Please find somewhere else to play, so everyone can have a better day."

Reply to this TR

november-9-2013-rock-mtn
ErikT
2013-11-09 22:44:15