Home > Trip Reports > 9 November, Stevens Pass Ski Area

9 November, Stevens Pass Ski Area

11/9/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Ted on 11/9/13 9:11am
Good coverage. 2" of fresh on top of a hearty layer of old stuff that was surely rained on.  Skin from the parking lot.  It was hard to turn on that crud, but still a good day for a few laps. Also, the restaurants are open for lunch.  Will post a couple pics later.
HIgher elevations didn't disappoint - heavy pow was harvested on north-facing slopes above 4.5k. We arrived at the leisurely hour of 10am to an almost full A lot which spilled-over into lots B and E in the afternoon. Lots of folks out playing in the snow; easily two dozen folks skinning around the frontside throughout the day.

Made it up to the top of Skyline before noon and took a lap down to the breakover towers on Brooks. Went back up for another and opted to plod the rest of the way up to the top of Cowboy. Had a dozen nice turns down Solitude to the top of Skyline when the snow and wind began to pick-up. With evening obligations, we opted to head down, finding several nice turns and catching a little air along the way. While the bike park trails make for decent skinning routes uphill, they make downhill travel near the base difficult, esp. when the snow's thin and crusty like it was today. Peeked at the telemetry back behind Skyline and it was reading around 26", the bottom couldn't have been much more than 16". Lots of resort activity on-hill, too. Cats running every which way, compacting the current snowfall to build a base in preparation for more.

I went on Sunday. Originally wanted to do Double Diamond but it didn't look to have good coverage, so I only did Showcase.

Up high some deeper (still heavy) powder; fairly compacted snow on top of the crust below 4700' and turning wasn't super easy even on a freshly waxed board (CH8) so I can imagine it was even harder for skis.

Snow wasn't anything to write home about but still great to be out there.

Also enjoyed a cold beer and a side of fries at the end  ;D

Cheers
Ivo

Reply to this TR

9-november-stevens-pass-ski-area
Ted
2013-11-09 17:11:21