Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2005, Hood, SNOWDOME!

June 19, 2005, Hood, SNOWDOME!

6/19/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 6/19/05 11:24pm
TR Summary:
It completely rocked!!

First half of image: Andy on Snowdome with the Coe Glacier and Barrett Spur on the left.
Second half: Hood as seen from highway 35 in the morning. Blue line is our approximate descent, we went looker's right to catch a steeper roll.

Full TR:
Snowdome is, in my opinion, one of the finest and most scenic tours on Mt Hood, especially when it's skiable all the way to the Timberline trail as it essentially was for us. The forecast was marginal but had improved from a few days earlier, so we rolled the dice and gave it a go. The road to Cloud Cap fully opened sometime last week when apparently someone (non-USFS) cut the lock on the gate at Inspiration Point (that's per the USFS receptionist).

Driving down 35 from Hood River we were treated to the standard sublime view of the Northside of Hood against a bright blue sky. We departed Cloud Cap at 8:40. The seasonal bridge across Eliot creek is . In addition to the bridge being out, the Timberline trail north of Eliot creek that traverses the moraine into the forest has been washed out and is difficult to follow.  I imagine both will be remedied within the next 1 or 2 weeks. Adams, Rainier and St Helens where out in and got to the base of the dome around 11. The weather had deteriorated from the blue sky in the morning, with clouds now obscuring the mountain above the dome and moderate winds.  We skinned to the top of the dome, with Jason bootpacking the final portion (he has very heavy skis and boots), and me bootpacking it with him when I yoyoed down. We passed a party of two women on Dynafits and a we able to ski to 5917', within about 5 minutes of the trail. My guess is the length of the hike to the trail from the base of the Langille is going to rapidly get longer over the next few weeks, though if you don't mind a loose talus downhike it is probably still worth descending this way for the next two weeks.

We finished the day with Ice Cream in Hood River. How can any day that ends

on my car for not having a Fee Demo pass. This is the second time I've got a ticket/warning here, this trailhead is well-patrolled.
Glad you had fun, and wow! thanks for posting that picture Jeff.  Those gullies are looking really good for this late in the year.  Too bad I have so much to ski in Washington, or I'd head down there and ski one of those puppies.  Life is rough. ;)

If you do Snowdome again in a few weeks or a month, post another NF shot eh?

Thanks
Sky

Thanks for the great report and pics Jeff.  I've been wanting to ski the Snowdome and climb the Sunshine route for sometime now.  Looks like its in good shape and might have to get down there for an Adams combo trip!

Jeff,  I enjoyed your TR and photos.  A few years ago Jill and I skied the same route and as we skied past the waterfall down to the Timberline trail we encountered numerous wildflowers.  It is a great memory that remains to this day.  Excellent choice of stops for a post trip refresher.  I have developed an addiction for Blizzards at DQ.  
Zap

Great pictures as always, Jeff! I love the two tiny figures in the corner of the "crazy Northface gullies" shot.

Any idea when the seasonal bridge usually goes in?

Thax for the pics of the gullies. The one to the right looks interesting but the left one looks like the better ski.  ;D

Any idea when the seasonal bridge usually goes in?

It usually goes in pretty quickly after they open the road, so I'd suspect either this weekend or next they'll have it installed. You could call the Hood River USFS office to ask.

Great pictures Jeff! Excellent report to boot. That may get on the to-do list some day in the near future.
Joe

Reply to this TR

june-19-2005-hood-snowdome
Jeff Huber
2005-06-20 06:24:37