Home > Trip Reports > Heliotrope Ridge - Nov 3, 2013

Heliotrope Ridge - Nov 3, 2013

11/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by KW on 11/4/13 12:06am

A separated shoulder crashing on my road bike ended my quest to ski every month this year.  I was eager to get after it for another season. After missing the first dump in Early October due to work commitments it was a long wait for the snow to come back.

The storm that rolled in looks to have dropped 3ish feet in most spots the parking lot is still very accessible with no issue rocking the 4x4 to the trailhead. We weren't the only ones to hit it yesterday. It felt like a whistler slackcountry day rather than a solo backcountry adventure.

It was amazing to see the number of people out but what was more impressive was the group stoke! Looks like another system with good freezing levels for this area will come in this week. But it will be hard to beat Sunday with the sun.

More pics on the link below

...don't see the need to start a whole new thread... would certainly echo that the group stoke was alive and well. My only observation that differed was the road condition... a little spicy with the Subaru, mostly from the cold temps. Chains on, and it was no problem.

More pictures and thoughts can be found here.

Great photos. Such an awesome day with the sun out! 4x4 and snowies didn't slip once on the road. I am wondering if any one tried to get up to skyline Sunday.

Wow!  A friend and I skied part of the Emmons glacier in about a foot of fresh powder, but I'm still amazed at how much more snow the north side holds.  It looks like there was a few extra feet on your side. 

Jealous.  That area is so esthetic.  Good to hear the road is still manageable. 

Great photos!

Group stoke is a good thing  ;D

Thank you guys, those pictures truly capture the magic. We were heartbroken to have forgotten the camera gear at home.

killer shots as usual

Reply to this TR

heliotrope-ridge-nov-3-2013
KW
2013-11-04 08:06:33