Home > Trip Reports > 11/3/2013, Snoqualmie Pass - FR9070 (Hyak Road)

11/3/2013, Snoqualmie Pass - FR9070 (Hyak Road)

11/3/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by BrianT on 11/3/13 11:36pm
My friend JBApple headed out to work on getting fully certed for his NSP (National Ski Patrol) over the weekend at Summit Central.  He camped out in his camper on Friday->Saturday. On Saturday, Belinda, Caitlin and I headed up to meet up, have some drinks and crash out there for the first real snow of the season.

We went to bed while It was snowing on Saturday night, only about 2 inches were on the ground then.  By the time we woke, it was very sad, not much new snow had fallen over night.  We crashed around, ate some breakfast and enjoyed things for a bit. That morning, we took our friends car up to the Silver Fur lift and almost to Central Express lift and enjoyed about 4 inches of snow up there with the dogs as they romped around.

By noon, we decided to toss the ski's on the car, and head up Hyak road to about the spot you stop for Silver Peak in search for some snow up higher. The road was very bare up until it does the hard U-Turn where it gets a bit rocky and then from there on out, it was pretty much straight snow (even in existing tire tracks). By the time we got to the normal parking spot for Silver Peak in the summer (By the cliffs) we kept going right by the PCT and parked there.  This was Caitlin's first time on ski's so we decided to make it easy. We skinned up the road, headed up until the road got flat and made the sharp left towards Silver and called it there. From here, we ripped the skins off, clicked in and road 6 inches of not bad powder on a low angle road and just enjoyed the first snowfall.  We all had a fun time, including our Basset hound who was up to his belly in the snow on the road when not staying in the skin/tire tracks.

All-in-All, fun times, and enjoyed it snowing a bit hard on us while we were skinning. I do believe that the new rain will not fully melt all this out, so if we continue to get some more snow up there, I think west could open in a few weeks if we get another storm like that.

This marks the following
Brian - Month 21
Belinda - Month 13
Belinda (Snow-balls-all-year) - Month 20 (She's hit me with a snowball since before she could ski)
Jake - Month 14
Catlin - Month 1

Reply to this TR

11-3-2013-snoqualmie-pass-fr9070-hyak-road
BrianT
2013-11-04 07:36:51