Home > Forum > 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?

2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
02 Nov 2013 15:44 #210716 by astrov
2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu? was created by astrov
2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu skis are on sale all over the web right now.

Seems like it could be a good deal. I am an advanced skier and would like something I can enjoy our powder / crud / concrete with in the backcountry.

Do you folks out there like these skis? My buddy has them and speaks highly of them. My current setup is a pair of BD Machines - a pretty dramatic sidecut ski good for spring corn, but not as much for winter conditions, I think, because they like to turn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
02 Nov 2013 18:23 #210719 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
Meh.
What's the price? I think you could find better pow/crud/concrete skis on sale.

• astrov
  • [astrov]
More
02 Nov 2013 18:42 #210722 by astrov
Replied by astrov on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
$400. Because they are pre-drilled for Dynafit bindings, I get to save mounting costs too. Climbing is at least as important as skiing for me so weight is a factor.

Open to alternative suggestions - that's why I crowdsourced this. thanks,

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Nov 2013 10:58 #210726 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
If I had to choose but one of my skis to keep it would be the Manaslu. The others: Dynafit 7-Summits & Stoke; Volkl Snowwolf & Mantra; Karhu Guide & Madshus Epoch; Kastle LX92; Rossignol S7; Atomic R:EX. If I was to buy a new 2-ski quiver it might well be the Movement Response X and the Dynafit Huascaran. If I were younger, stronger, and had really healthy knees I'd consider the Volkl Nunataq.

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
03 Nov 2013 10:59 #210727 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
I think Marmot has the Nunataq for $400

More
03 Nov 2013 13:02 #210728 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
Is this one of their rentals? I was thinking about it

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Nov 2013 14:22 #210745 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
Some Manaslu owners have been plagued by toes ripping out of those predrilled skis. I know several people who gave up on them.

Its a lightweight ski much loved by the TAY crowd but IMO a noodly meh ski with terrible edge hold. There much better skis for what you want on the market.

The Volk Nutataq that Ed mentioned is a much better ski.

I also agree with Carey...the Huascaran is also a good ski and better for deep winter but you'll pay more.

Have a look at the Voile line, US made, bomber cap construction and you can find deals. The new V8 is a great ski as is the Charger.

Manaslu......meh.... but YMMV.

• blackdog102395
  • [blackdog102395]
More
04 Nov 2013 19:42 #210750 by blackdog102395
Replied by blackdog102395 on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
Lots of good stuff here around the same price range:

www.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap/gear-cache/3969

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
04 Nov 2013 21:13 #210751 by silaswild
Replied by silaswild on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?

Some Manaslu owners have been plagued by  toes ripping out of those predrilled skis. I know several people who gave up on them.

Its  a lightweight ski much loved by the TAY crowd but IMO a noodly meh ski with terrible edge hold. There much better skis for what you want on the market.

Manaslu......meh.... but YMMV.

Plagued?  "A widespread affliction or calamity", nah I don't think so.  Here's some discussion on the issue:  www.wildsnow.com/4400/dynafit-binding-screw-inserts/   Pre drilled plastic inserts pro:  easier to mount.   Con:  easier to rip out?

The Manaslu has not been noodly for me or my daughter, but neither of us weighs over 170lb, maybe they have a weight limit?  One of the reasons I bought my first pair in 2009 was due to their excellent edgehold on bulletproof groomers at Marmot demo night in January of that year.

MMDV (my mileage does vary!)  Off Piste newspaper December 2013 ski review issue says, and my experience has been the same:  "Several testers in our crew keep a Manaslu in the quiver, and use it, because if you just don't know what Mother Nature is going to offer, you do know that the Manaslu can handle it...it serves up remarkably consistent results in the backcountry...when push comes to shove, we also love the way the Manaslu does it all, regardless of the conditions."

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Nov 2013 09:01 #210753 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?

Plagued?  "A widespread affliction or calamity", nah I don't think so.  Here's some discussion on the issue:  www.wildsnow.com/4400/dynafit-binding-screw-inserts/   Pre drilled plastic inserts pro:  easier to mount.   Con:  easier to rip out?

The Manaslu has not been noodly for me or my daughter, but neither of us weighs over 170lb, maybe they have a weight limit?  One of the reasons I bought my first pair in 2009 was due to their excellent edgehold on bulletproof groomers at Marmot demo night in January of that year.

MMDV (my mileage does vary!)  Off Piste newspaper December 2013 ski review issue says, and my experience has been the same:  "Several testers in our crew keep a Manaslu in the quiver, and use it, because if you just don't know what Mother Nature is going to offer, you do know that the Manaslu can handle it...it serves up remarkably consistent results in the backcountry...when push comes to shove, we also love the way the Manaslu does it all, regardless of the conditions."

YEah.... I know you love your Noodly Manasulu's but I also know a lot of people who after the initial "crush" grew very disillusioned with them. They were a great ski for what they were..light...but time has moved on and they are now a meh ski compared to what is now out there. .... hardly a crud ski.....but To each his own...and everybody has their own experiences and personal preferences ......and I guess the message to the OP is...demo if you can before buying as, as you can see, experiences and opinions vary dramatically based upon personal preference and skiing style.

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
05 Nov 2013 19:10 #210760 by all mtn
Replied by all mtn on topic Re: 2011/2012 Dynafit Manaslu?
They probably didn't sell that well, due to the avalanche and the people that didn't survive.