Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2005, MRNP - SUNRISE - Sourdough part 2

June 19, 2005, MRNP - SUNRISE - Sourdough part 2

6/19/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 6/19/05 7:49am
Ron, Jerry, and myself headed for round 2 at Sunrise.  Were surprised to see a new dusting of snow on the Sunrise road rounding the final bend to the parking lot with some freshies spattered around the meadows and hillside.  Sunny skies, slight breeze and only a couple of other cars in the parking lot.  The main facilities are still closed though, so bring your own picnic if you are hiking.  Ran into Kenji just past the main entrance, he was headed towards the interglacier.  We were headed for another helping of "Sourdough starter"  8).  Loaded up our skis and found something everyone seemed to miss last week, because it was sweet and just sitting there waiting for the cannery to start picking and shuckin the corn.  The snow was very consolidated, smooth, and skiable  ;D, with a light dusting of new laid perfectly over the surface.  No postholing, no stryo snow, no rocks, just beautiful skiing  8).  Never pass up good snow for better was our motto today, making several laps on this beauty ;D.  The skies were so clear and the sun so bright we could even see ski tracks across on the interglacier, nice job Kenji if those were yours.  There are still some pretty good lines to be had from the Ridge.  Last nights cool temps and new snow helped to keep us happy at least for another week  8).   Ron and Jerry took lots of pictures so check back for more fun.  :D
nice!  glad you guys had fun.  so, how were the hot dogs?

nice!  glad you guys had fun.  so, how were the hot dogs?

It was a perfect warm, sunny, lounging, t-shirt day for a nice brew and dog, but since it was Father's Day, we left at 2:30.  The parking lot was full of cars and hungry visitors by that time.   :D  Nice to see so many enjoying the nice weather and great weekend.  

What a cool day!  That corn was marvelous 8) Ron your new Cannon takes great photos! I like it! Plus your video mode is very clear, rock on.  Photos coming soon...Jerry

There was no other skiers on Interglacier Sunday.  Others must have known something I didn't.  Up to 2' of mush made uphill more work than usual.  Downhill?  I was glad I had my powder skis!   I saw one summit skier coming down on Emmons.

Sounds like you guys found better snow...

excellent!  last weekend was so fun up there, i'm glad to hear that the snow might last a little longer and we might still be able to go back...anyway, sounds like it was a fantastic day.  can't wait to see those viddys and photos!!

Nice report, MadDog.  We certainly did find a sweet line. ;D

Kam - you hit the nail on the head! with the clear, sunny day I really missed the Dogs!!  but as it was we skied past our deadline to meet our father's day commitments, so we had to skip the dogs  >:(

A few pics from the trip are:
The Mountain's Out  If you look close you can see Kenji's tracks on the interglacier  (just kidding, but we could see them).  Kenji - I'm impressed that you got those tracks laid down so fast.  It seems like we saw the tracks a little before 2:00 and we left you earlier that morning at the gate way after 9:00... You still had to drive to WRCG, gear up and hike to the top of the IG; nice work.  How high did you climb, anyway?

Jeanette and Jerry worked the 40 degree line with aplomb and from the look on their faces after the first run you knew it was sweet skiing.  Funny thing was this week I took my rock skis and none of us hit even one rock.  Last week I was on better skis (with virgin bases) and took TWO core shots  ???  Go figure.

As Skip and Kam point out regularly, "All skis are Rock Skis".  Guess I'm working my quiver in that direction  :)

A few more shots from the day are posted HERE.

Good job gang! RJ-I did eventually get out of the house for a hike on Sat and got chased off the hill by a monsoon and lightning of tropical propotions. I am glad to hear that it really was good!
Joe

Sweet pics, Jer.
I like the way the pano goes from Tamanos to Rainier.

Am I to surmise from your "our slope" shot that you guys boot packed up that pitch???  Say it isn't so!

If true, I'd say that ronj is getting soft ;) 8)

A couple of the shots earlier up in Ron's post are incredibly sharp and clear.  Did I hear that Ron got a new camera?

I had to send my Nikon into the shop yesterday...Eldorado took it out...  4-6 weeks of therapy and it should be rehabilitated, or at least so obsolete that it won't matter that it doesn't work right.

Am I to surmise from your "our trail" shot that you guys boot packed up that slope???  Say it isn't so! If it is so, I'd say that ronj is getting soft ;) 8)
The skins were "on restriction" so had to stay in the car.  Maybe next time.  ;)

A couple of the shots earlier up in the post are incredibly sharp and clear.  Did I hear that Ron got a new camera?
I had been waiting for Sony to come out with their new 12X optical zoom machine in June.  Then, thanks to Amar's recent thorough camera dissertation in one of his posts, I became aware of Canon's competition to the new Sony, also debuting about the same time. The Canon Powershot S2 IS http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368
is the gizmo I now have under "field evaluation".

Reply to this TR

june-19-2005-mrnp-sunrise-sourdough-part-2
JMor
2005-06-19 14:49:39