Home > Trip Reports > October 20, 2013, the Outskirts of (Muir)town

October 20, 2013, the Outskirts of (Muir)town

10/20/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 10/21/13 11:39am
It is pretty damn cool that even in a place that gets as much visitation as the Muir snowfield, all it takes is about a 90 degree course correction to get a little bit of that wild snow back. On the western outskirts of the snowfield, with the Nisqually alongside and both the Icecliff and Icefall looming sorta above, an unfamiliar rolloff below, just enough of the familiarity melted away such that I could gain fresh appreciation for a place I've (approximately) been to 50 times or more.

Booted to Pan summer trail on way up, didn't seem worth it to switch modes til then. Having rock or rockish skis a plus, As noted in other reports: phenomenal snow. Better spring snow than most really-spring snow I've encountered on snowfield. Low sun angle probably a boon. Really nice 'orangepeel' texture up high, corn middle, still nice spring snow low. Shirtsleeves. Barely any wind. Saw many skiers but I was one of the last and had snowfield to myself mostly. Got a little too excited by following the lines less traveled into the Pebble Patch but missed the only narrow stripe that touched bottom and had to scramble out a ways to escape the pit of Pebble Creek.

Since apparently this high pressure window / inversion is gonna oblige for several more days yet, got a feeling I'm going back for more soon ...
Going way right from Muir gives you that lump in your thoat feeling. Kind of like, I think I've gone too far.

Reply to this TR

october-20-2013-the-outskirts-of-muir-town
wolfs
2013-10-21 18:39:32