Home > Trip Reports > October 19, 2013, Mt Adams, Southside

October 19, 2013, Mt Adams, Southside

10/19/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 10/21/13 6:16am
Excellent skiing on the Southside of Adams this weekend. Continuous snow started ~15 minutes from the car. From there we skinned the direct €œSouth Butte route€ which required no portages but may require by next weekend. The descent down the summit face was the smoothest I can recall. Mostly excellent clean, fast corn snow down the south spur, the lunch counter, and all the way back to within 15 minutes of the car with it becoming rocky at the base of the Crescent. Excellent Autumn colors in the forest and foothills.

Finished the day with pizza at €œThe Station€ café in Trout Lake. The food here is fantastic. Highly recommend.  This is the Chevron that you come to as you enter Trout Lake. Only downside is they close at 8pm, so plan your ski day accordingly.

Fantastic ski day. The day also marked my 10th year of continuous TAY.

A few phone photos:
From the base looking up

Partner in minimal ski attire:

From the road on the way out. The fire in the fall 2012 has really opened up the view from the road and Cold Springs campground:

Mt Adams recovery food:

Some things cannot be unseen...

No need to be modest when the conditions are great! A wedding party walked by when I was changing in the T-Line parking lot on Saturday.  For a minute I thought,  "should I feel embarrassed?"  Well.. maybe 1/2 a minute. That sun was really nice.   

Thanks for  the report!!  Do we need to buy permits for this time of year?  Still FS Trout Lake?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5144542
Purchase of a Cascades Volcano Pass is required if you are climbing above 7,000 feet elevation in Mt. Adams Wilderness, between June 1 and September 30. The Cascades Volcano Pass is a Recreational Fee Program.

At Timberline, mt. Hood in the p.m. it was the same balmy weather
* What a station.

Cool, how thin is was it, catch any rocks? 

Yeah the station has good food, really good breakfast. Can be sloooow though.

PS If anyone is interested 'The Logs' in BZ is for sale or lease  (I miss the bbq)

author=Patarero link=topic=29379.msg123543#msg123543 date=1382466618">
PS If anyone is interested 'The Logs' in BZ is for sale or lease  (I miss the bbq)

At $750K that listing might take a while to move

author=Jeff Huber link=topic=29379.msg123501#msg123501 date=1382390205]Fantastic ski day. The day also marked my 10th year of continuous TAY.

Congrats!
This would have been such a perfect way to reach that milestone, and it would have been such a perfect reenactment of our October 2007 Adams summit ski, except for one missing element:  me.  (Sigh...)

Oh well, snow guns are blasting away at Killington for a weekend lift-served opening, so sloppy seconds for self-propelled ascension on Monday to keep my since-1992 October streak going.

Reply to this TR

october-19-2013-mt-adams-southside
Jeff Huber
2013-10-21 13:16:45