Home > Trip Reports > Oct 20, 2013, - Camp Muir - spring-like skiing

Oct 20, 2013, - Camp Muir - spring-like skiing

10/20/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by MtnPavlas on 10/20/13 12:43pm
The great "spring" skiing in October on the Muir field continues. We had to manage about 3-4 carries but on the flip side were able to skin from and ski back to the Paradise parking lot.

Temperatures must have been in the 60's (if not higher), blue skies with not one cloud.

By noon, the snowfield had about 2 inches of soft (wouldn't call it exactly corn but close enough ;-) on top of consolidated base. Made for some smooth carving.

Juya skinning up (below Pan Face):

Pavel pushing final yards of Pan... yeah, was a little thin at this spot:

The snowfield:
Way to go - definitely a great call to hit Muir this weekend.

Thanks for the tip, Bryan ;)

Pavlas,

Had a great time skiing with you guys again. Was nice to meet Juya finally and your friend.  I also could not believe how hot it was up there. Going in my shells even zipped was too hot for me.

For the folks that are looking to go up, the skiing is amazing if you turn around at about 1pm as of now with the temps holding the way they are.  The snow was fast and amazing. We took skiers right towards the Nisqually area, then banked hard left around 8500 and skied the rest of the way down to Pebble proper.  Once there we had a few small carries to pan face, skied the winter route down (probably won't be in much longer with the heat) all the way to the car.

All in all, 4.5/5 stars. (Due to me not going in shorts)

Man, it's melting fast! We were able to ski down Pan pt, right at the spot in your second-to-last photo, on Saturday, but just barely. The snow was really better than I expected. Beautiful corn up high.

Reply to this TR

oct-20-2013-camp-muir-spring-like-skiing
MtnPavlas
2013-10-20 19:43:14