Home > Trip Reports > October 19, 2013, Occupy Camp Muir

October 19, 2013, Occupy Camp Muir

10/19/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by r1de on 10/19/13 2:01pm
There was a sizable group of TAYers at Camp Muir today.  The ingredients of a well-consolidated weeks-old big dump, a just-reopened National Park, and a stable high-pressure system combined to make for quite a day on the Muir Snowfield.

The snow conditions on the descent were honestly outstanding, and everyone present had smiles from ear to ear.  No suncups, no stickiness, no raised ski tracks - just buttery soft, FAST corn.

The melt-off was a little more than expected; it was tricky to pick a route on continuous snow in the Pebble Creek area.  Most of us didn't even bother dropping skis/boards until above Pan Point.  But the snowfield itself is well worth the trip, and will remain so for a while.
Thanks for the update. I was very interested and waiting patiently to see a report from Muir. Good to hear it was skiing well!

Nice polite Rangers/Volunteer Rangers were out and about today telling people to carry their skis/boards until Pan Pt and in place to tell them to take them off again during the descent.  Lots of skis tracks from yesterday all the way down to the Dead Horse Creek Trailhead and Paradise Parking lot; obviously got the Park concerned about vegetation with the snow melting out in numerous places. 

A flagrant disregard for base gouges and ability to unweight on asphalt made for a trip almost to lot on Saturday with no damage to vegetation.  The snow was already VERY thin and more were coming down behind us, I can't imagine it would have been possible on Sunday even if you wanted to get a free base grind to start your season.

Those were by far the best October turns I've ever had and the biggest group I've ever had out.  Great day for month 47 :)

I was the gal in the tutu going for 24-months, and this TR is spot on. The snow was great and skiing was fast and fun! I agree with the TR from the 20th as well - you want to head down earlier than later and there was a lot of melt even over the course of the day. I swear it must have been 80-degrees by the time we hit the top of Pan Point. I was skiing in shell pants and a tank top and was still super warm.

No photos were uploaded yet to this stream, so I've attached a few =D

-Kristina

author=kciari link=topic=29372.msg123511#msg123511 date=1382401571]
I was the gal in the tutu going for 24-months, and this TR is spot on.

That was classic - thanks for adding some more color to camp!

author=kciari link=topic=29372.msg123511#msg123511 date=1382401571]
No photos were uploaded yet to this stream, so I've attached a few =D

-Kristina

Thanks also for the pics!

+1 for all of the above. I woulda called it pseudo-corn, but man was it enjoyable, ripping fast!
No clouds, no wind, huge views and temps that rivaled madison beach on a hot Seattle day. So perfect I had to ski shirtless...it's October?! I froze my ass off up there in August.

(kciari, I parked next to ya'll at paradise, chatted at pan point area. Props for sticking with the tutu, I thought for sure you'd ditch it. Congrats on 24)

(kciari, I parked next to ya'll at paradise, chatted at pan point area. Props for sticking with the tutu, I thought for sure you'd ditch it. Congrats on 24)

Thanks much MattT! Good chatting with you too. And of COURSE I stuck with the Tutu. That thing is a skiing staple my friend.

Reply to this TR

october-19-2013-occupy-camp-muir
r1de
2013-10-19 21:01:05