Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2005, Robinson Mountain

June 15, 2005, Robinson Mountain

6/15/05
Posted by skykilo on 6/16/05 2:34am
Kam, Phil and I skied Robinson Mountain in the Pasayten Wilderness yesterday.  Phil and I were inspired by that makes the couloir look kinda crazy.

That's funny, because I had written phil about doing this. Little did I know that you and phil were already there.  8)

Sky, I would have to concur with your payoff vs. effort assessment.  My feet might not agree, but luckily they have no say in the matter.
Now hopefully Kam will chime in with some photos :-)

...Now hopefully Kam will chime in with some photos :-)

ding, ding...  here's a shot of Sky (left) and Phil (right) front-pointing up the couloir.

yeah, i would have soiled myself had i gone above the apron.  and i didn't bring a blue bag.  besides, i didn't want to exceed the 10% mark on my joy-o-meter:

;D

well done, Sky and Phil.  the two of you pulled it off nicely.  overall, it was an enjoyable trip, with great company.  i like how remote it felt on the north side.  and what an impressive view of Robinson from the north!  for those interested, here's the topo of Robinson.  in red is our ascent and descent route (the vertical to the summit is about 8500 ft., as Sky mentioned).  the standard scramble route  - up Beauty Creek - is in blue.

more photos soon...

Kam- That chute looks right up your alley. You gotta have a pair of skis that will adhere to ice? Nice hike very impressive!
Joe

As usual, great report on what sounds like a great trip. Thanks.

Good stuff, guys! :D  It doesn't look like the Fatboy approach would have saved you all that much.  Besides, in a season with already fewer options, you might as well choose something that stretches the legs a bit more.  Otherwise, come next winter, we'll all be Fatboys! ;D

Kam, Phil and I skied Robinson Mountain in the Pasayten Wilderness yesterday.  Phil and I were inspired by this thread on CascadeClimbers.com.  

I knew when I saw Phil's name show up on cc.com, a ski outing was in the brewing. Way to get out there and hit it! Keep it going, you guys throw down some inspirational lines.

Another epic!!

You guys are breaking my heart!  Last winter I rummaged through memories and photos of routes that I did (or tried) during my ice climbing days and which might be worth visiting when I learn to ski better -- and have mastered hop turns on 55 degree icy runnels!

Of the top five on my list you guys have bagged three this year -- Goode, Jack and now Robinson. I didn't think anybody else even knew about Robinson.

The other two are ...

... uh, I forget!  ;D

BTW -- re: the approach: isn't the turnoff above Porcupine Camp about an hour from Hart's Pass?  But, then, I suppose it would not be all downhill to the cars on the way out.

You guys certainly nailed another one.
Way to research, plan and implement.
Sweeeet.

Nice one, boys.
Looking at the couloir in that Roper photo makes me wonder just where the "narrow" part is.  It's harder to figure where the part is that's WIDER than 188 cm, like in Kam's photo (presumably near the bottom).

Barry,

If you look at the route photo from below on the CascadeClimbers.com thread, the ~200cm wide (narrow) spot is the constriction at the top of the dogleg section.

In Kam's photo you can't see it because it's around the corner, just out of sight.

i'm able to turn my attention away from work to post some photos....

...you can't see it because it's around the corner, just out of sight.

1. Sky at the constriction.
2. Sky, the human weed-whacker.
3. Phil enjoying the approach.  and look, fresh snow!  it's going to be a powder day.
4. Sky and the Pasayten Wilderness.

Thanks for the photos Kam. Very nice shots!
Now I know my limits climbing with you boys the skiing well...8)
Joe

Nice trip guys, and thanks for the report.  As a regular visitor to the Mazama area, I've eyed Robinson for several years to ski, but can't say I'd ever considered the route you did.  Looks sweet, and steep.  Kam, I'll be sure to bring an extra blue bag for our next trip :)  btw, love the joy-o-meter.  

Reply to this TR

june-15-2005-robinson-mountain
skykilo
2005-06-16 09:34:46