Home > Trip Reports > October 14, 2013, Sherman Peak, Talum Glacier

October 14, 2013, Sherman Peak, Talum Glacier

10/14/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by tsuyoshi on 10/15/13 2:27pm
A group of us skied the Talum Glacier on Sherman Peak yesterday in excellent conditions.  I kept having to tell myself that it was October as it felt much more like spring.

Crossing the Squak Glacier is very easy as a flat spot down low allows passage with only one crack to cross. The Talum Glacier is also quite easy to navigate. Rockfall was bad on the left side of the lower face but climbing up the middle yielded rock free fun. A crack mid face forced our group to the left and we followed the ridge to the summit connecting steep rolls and chutes with one final steep bit of loose sugar covered rock.

We skied a short shot of the summit ridge onto the SW face before cutting hard left to regain the Talum. Sun-kissed windbuff, corn, corn, corn...

If you've already skied Baker too many times and want something new, I would definitely recommend this route. It's a bit more challenging than the Coleman-Demming or Easton as there is a good amount of steeper skiing over cracks, but isn't as committing as the Coleman Headwall.

The full story here
October turns we're just redefined for me!

Thanks for this report and pics!  Looks also like a good option for when Easton/Squak are crushed with machines..

Really great trip. Thanks for the detailed post. I have tried this trip early in the season and turned around because conditions were better suited for playing on ice than skiing. I am glad to hear it is a worthy trip if conditions are right.

Nice - way to get after it!  Reminds me of the early Fall/post Summer outings up Baker going back 10 yrs. now. 

nice action pic on the last one!

Reply to this TR

october-14-2013-sherman-peak-talum-glacier
tsuyoshi
2013-10-15 21:27:24