Home > Trip Reports > Oct 11-12, 2013, Hidden Lake LO

Oct 11-12, 2013, Hidden Lake LO

10/11/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 10/15/13 2:05am
Not ready for prime time skiing, but we got a few turns in, and were able to skin the final couple miles to the saddle, before booting a steep final ascent to the lookout.  The upshot for those who want to know: we established a nice firm boot pack across, and up, the final steep east slope between much exposed and tenuously spindrift filled scree.

Snow begins at the start of the traverse on the NW facing bench at 5300 feet.  Although we found a skinnable route across many rocks and small streams, it is too melted out for that now.

Once onto the last rising bench to the saddle above Hidden Lake, the slope and scree was filled in enough to comfortably skin up and ski down.  Too little, and too far in, to bother until a good new snowfall.
The well known final east slope was far too thinly filled in to ski. The booting sucked, fearing for the deep hidden hole that would suck us in or knock us off balance.  Fortunately, a patient wallow got us to the final SE ridge below the lookout. It is a well established boot track now!  Poles helpful, ice axe not really applicable in unconsolidated snow unless used for balance alone.

Great stories in the log book, great company, a visit from a couple great folks Goran and Jessica, more stories.....nothing beats a sunset, sunrise, and night in a lookout!

Full roll of pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/sets/72157636588365765/  gives a hint of snowdepths
Very cool area.  I enjoyed the pics on flickr.  Thanks for posting!

Last picture in the Flickr set with the fall color foreground and snow beyond particularly nice.

Any mouse problems w the lookout? Have always wondered whether the mice make extra efforts to get in to the lookouts when the weather outside is so cold.

Nice pictures! Great sunset.  Always wanted to spend a thunder storm on a lookout, I have heard so many great stories.

I like that you guys went for it even though the coverage was low.  You got a great night out of it, and some turns the next day.  I saw similar coverage on Overcoat and I just ran out of stoke.  Your report makes me question turning around. - a little.

Look at where we live...  Damn.  There is no place else to be. 

Reply to this TR

oct-11-12-2013-hidden-lake-lo
John Morrow
2013-10-15 09:05:38