Home > Trip Reports > June 12 , 2005, Cowlitz Rocks /Paradise Glacier

June 12 , 2005, Cowlitz Rocks /Paradise Glacier

6/12/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/12/05 7:42am
We we were hoping to go up to Muir today for some Altitude work in prep for skiing Shasta next weekend.
1-2 " freshies at Paradise with lots of cloud cover made us change our mind and direction for Cowlitz Rocks an dpossibility of skiing most of the Paradise. Continous snow starts at VAn Trump /Sluiskan/Gary Vogt Memorial. Stevens creek best crossed up above the old Ice caves. There are still some spots below Ice cave to cross. We kept skinning up the Paradise to Land's End. Had Lunch and only got fleeting glimpses of upper Paradise. Gave up on going higher so our top out was 7500'. We mucked around around up there and finally found enough Vis to yo -yo Cowlitz on really decent freshies over crust.Skied out and into the clear and wonderful veiws of Tatoosh while schusssing home. It's still worth while going up there with Good vis. A nice easy trip.

Regine & I headed up to Muir snowfields.  It was snowing etc when we left Paradise and I forgot to put sunscreen on; I will lose face in a big way.  Not that we saw much sun. About 3 minutes of sucker hole at 8,000 ft convinced us to skin up more; hole immediately closed.  Visibility at 50 ft or so. At 8,500 we started down and with a little ski removal and walking we skied to Alta Vista.  Snow on Pan pt & above about 4-5 inches of new on top of corn; between the base of Pan and AV, an inch or two of new on top of dirt, pollen, and a little mush. abc

Reply to this TR

june-12-2005-cowlitz-rocks-paradise-glacier
Robie
2005-06-12 14:42:29