Home > Forum > More Skimo Racing in the NW?

More Skimo Racing in the NW?

• awatterson
  • [awatterson]
More
10 Oct 2013 17:13 #210568 by awatterson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2013 10:48 #210579 by hwy2
Replied by hwy2 on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
I think there is a real demand for more skimo races in the NW just given the turnout at vertfest every year. Dane's idea is great. I'm in for sure (someone has to come in last :)). But a series of even one a month would be super fun as well. It's the best form of exercise hands down and a great group of folks who pursue it.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Oct 2013 11:31 #210446 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
The weather makes it tricky, but there's definitely a following for racing here.

The biggest competition for racing is probably touring itself; who wants to race when there's wilderness to be had? New and different destinations are perfect each weekend. The biggest determinant for Vertfest for me is whether or not there's something else unique to be done on that long weekend. If our mountains were played out, I think we'd all find the challenge of racing alone more attractive.

Now that the Spearhead is (alas) going Euro with the hut system, and people are starting to do it in a day on a routine basis, perhaps a race there could have both compelling adventure and racing together.

Closer to home, it's easy to imagine long routes in the Stevens, Snoqualmie, Baker, or Crystal BC that could be a ton of fun. Keeping a large gaggle safe as they push their limits on a long/remote route could be really hard.

More
13 Oct 2013 09:43 #210584 by Plinko
Replied by Plinko on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

For a few years there used to be a Vertfest at Crystal Mtn in addition to the one at Alpental. Vertfest numbers are even larger now so there is a definite market for more races.

In SLC/Brighton they have a series of 10 free races called Wasatch Citizen Series that get about 70 people each, then there's Powderkeg as well.

Here in the PNW we have 3x the population to draw from so it should be a no brainer.

• awatterson
  • [awatterson]
More
13 Oct 2013 11:21 #210585 by awatterson
Replied by awatterson on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
I totally agree that something similar to the Wasatch Citizen Series could be hugely popular here. I think even if it were a race just lapping Hyak on a weekday evening Jan - April it would get a decent turn out. If only the USFS could be convinced.

More
13 Oct 2013 12:19 #210586 by Seth
Replied by Seth on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

I totally agree that something similar to the Wasatch Citizen Series could be hugely popular here. I think even if it were a race just lapping Hyak on a weekday evening Jan - April  it would get a decent turn out. If only the USFS could be convinced.

The Nordic folks have found a way to make a weeknight series work.

headlamprace.blogspot.com/?m=1

It seems there are more ski touring folks than Nordic folks these days. We should be able to make something work.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
13 Oct 2013 15:11 #210582 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

I totally agree that something similar to the Wasatch Citizen Series could be hugely popular here.

I also thought that, but the inaugural season doesn't seem to have been very auspicious:
snoqualmiepassskimo.blogspot.com/

• snoqpass
  • [snoqpass]
More
13 Oct 2013 15:52 #210589 by snoqpass
Replied by snoqpass on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

I also thought that, but the inaugural season doesn't seem to have been very auspicious:
snoqualmiepassskimo.blogspot.com/

Going up and down Central while its open probably had nothing to do with it

More
13 Oct 2013 17:44 #210590 by Seth
Replied by Seth on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

Brownies for prizes?!?!?!?!?! We need more races like that. Instant gratification.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Oct 2013 21:19 #210593 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
Getting back to the original topic, I think what Dane is suggesting is not another VertFest or citizen's race. He's thinking of something longer and more technical, I think. Something where you'd carry crampons and a harness and actually use them.

If you didn't have to deal with Forest Service regulations, an ideal course would be something like Watson's Traverse over Mt Baker. But I think that would be out, due to party-size limits in the wilderness.

Dane suggests that for practical reasons, you'd need to run such a race near an operating ski area. You'd want to run it as late in the operating season as possible, for the most predictable snow conditions. But if the snow conditions are too dangerous, you'd simply have to cancel it (assuming that the more aggressive course is the whole reason for this race).

It sounds interesting, but it could be pretty risky from an organizer's perspective. To make the race fair, you'd probably need trailbreakers, which gets complicated on a longer course.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
14 Oct 2013 09:34 #210595 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
Better yet, do as a reality TV show with drama, bribes for trail breaking, cutting cornices on other competitors, and other vile trickery... now that would be cool... well not really.

More
14 Oct 2013 21:11 #210602 by Brandonee
Replied by Brandonee on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
Well, last season I kept the Snoqualmie Pass Series on the down low because the ski area was a little nervous about too many people showing up and racing in bounds.  Turn out was pretty low, with the small email list and word of mouth, so, this year the plan was to post the website on TAY.  It appears the cat is out of the bag, so for anyone interested, there will be a series again this season, the plan is for a night race weekly starting in January, continuing until Vertfest.  I am also planning on a Christmas Eve morning race at Hyak, and the 2nd annual Seth Davis Silver Fir to Silver Peak race as well (will post schedule in November). Check out the site and come out for some suffering this coming season!

Brandon
snoqualmiepassskimo.blogspot.com

More
14 Oct 2013 21:41 #210603 by Plinko
Replied by Plinko on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?

Well, last season I kept the Snoqualmie Pass Series on the down low

Be honest, you just wanted the brownies all to yourself! haha

More
18 Oct 2013 14:12 #210641 by biker
Replied by biker on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
I would be interested in weeknight fitness races and technical traverse style races through interesting terrain. The weekend race up and down a ski area usually loses to skiing somewhere more interesting, but a cool 1 day or overnight route with some shuttle support would get me excited.

• Theo-san
  • [Theo-san]
More
18 Oct 2013 15:23 #210642 by Theo-san
Replied by Theo-san on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
Overnight with the stopping point in a cool backcountry location with a few wall-tents and a barbeque set up before you get there would be awesome.

• Chris S
  • [mtnfreak]
More
19 Oct 2013 08:21 #210645 by Chris S
Replied by Chris S on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
Keep in mind, getting permits to hold anything on public lands is a PIA. Insurance is required.

My favorite latest training tool is Strava, and I think it could also be applied here. Simply set up a Strava challenge, include a time window that the challenge has to take place, and voila! Instant race format. Limited to smart phone owners.

• Mattski
  • [Mattski]
More
21 Oct 2013 00:04 #210654 by Mattski
Replied by Mattski on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
No permits needed if left as a meet up. Strava & GPS can help determine the winners.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Oct 2013 16:46 #210657 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: More Skimo Racing in the NW?
dominate the nordic trails at the hack.
b