Home > Trip Reports > June 11, 2005,Twin Lakes

June 11, 2005,Twin Lakes

6/11/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 6/11/05 10:58pm
  Usually this time of year there are a number of trail reports from the area between Baker and the border. I thought that I would submit one in case someone is interested in visiting the area in the near future. I had climbed Goat and Winchester in late spring last year. It shouldn't surprise too many people that there is less snow this year.

The road beyond the Yellow Aster/Gold Run parking spot is also rougher than last year. You can drive right up to Twin Lakes, but you will need a high clearance vehicule. Neither of my partners, Lorne O. or Ted P., had ever skied Mt. Winchester. They agreed that it was great to be putting our skis on at the car in June.

The forecasted showers did dampen our spirits a little. We could see the mostly snow covered east slopes up to about 6,000', but clouds covered much of Mt. Winchester.We skinned up and cross-country skied past the lower lake to the summer trail. Unfortunately, we had to take our skis off a couple times until we reached a decent snowfield at 5,400'. Once again we had to remove our skis when we reached the steeper gradient under cliffs.

We had to make a decision when we reached the first of several steep pitched snowfields that need to be traversed to climb Winchester. First, we had a time constraint (I needed to be back home by 5:00). Second, the snow had a very firm,slippery base with a couple inches of wet, loose stuff on top.I had serious concerns of someone slidding into the rocks below.We had ice axes, but I had doubts as to whether we would arrest in time.Lastly,the poor visibilty and frequent rain/snow showers meant that there would be no reward of the usual great view that Winchester offers.

So after a late lunch break at 6,000' we walked down the trail a hundred feet or so.The wet snow produced almost soccer ball-sized companions as we teled down. Always reluctant to remove my skis, I found a narrow tongue that took me down to within 20 ' of the upper lake. A short scamble and a short section of the lake trail linked me up with my partners. We still had some free time, so Lorne and I climbed 350' up the east slopes and had the best run of the day. For anyone who wanted to ski from their truck and yo-yo for several hours, this hill would be a good option.You can see my photos by checking out my website http://gallery.telemen.ca/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=1416

I have just added, to the link, my pictures from a slightly better weather day last year when I actually made it to the peak of Winchester. Several of the shots are of Goat Mountain which Markharf and I had climbed through the gulley to the top in May,2004. The pictures also give a good perspective of the snowfields that need to be crossed on Winchester.

Enjoy,
Bob

Reply to this TR

june-11-2005-twin-lakes
Telemon
2005-06-12 05:58:12