Home > Trip Reports > Oct 7, 2013, Crystal Mtn

Oct 7, 2013, Crystal Mtn

10/7/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by tortiseshell on 10/7/13 9:08am
Chris, Anthony and I took advantage of fine weather and snowfall on Crystal Mtn. to get this month's turns in. October provided Karmic whiplash from our experience the weekend before on Rainier, just before it closed. Went from from big wet winds to full on sunshine and warm breeze this time! Initially headed for Silver Basin but readjusted and made our way to the top of the bucket.  Snow was sparse until the upper basin.  Had a fine ascent, loaded on (SEX) Silverado Express thanks to Ron and Paula who headed up to collect pinecones.  I learned that many of the trees growing at Crystal are from the harvest of those cones. Got fist shakes at us as we passed two other skiers and one snowboarder while on the Silverado Lift. I think it was only capable of handling a triple load, Sorry.... we had nothing to do with the lift crew... A big shout of thanks to Ron and Paula who dialed us in unexpectedly! Coverage at top is doable but it is boney underneath.  Made two laps and appreciated the walk down realizing how good the express service was! Exiting out of Hen Skin Lake, I found an ice axe. ID it and I'll be sure you get it back.  While at the summit, only saw the snowboarder as he headed down. Very quiet on the hill with one other party of two that we saw. Occasional hikers on the road. We were a party of three. One can walk to the summit easily or skin from the top bowl. Turf is looking pretty good out there! Another fill layer will be sweet!
Hey Terry, glad you got your October fix... in contrast to the last September weekend on Rainier - I met you and crew on the way up as you braved the elements. Thanks for reporting on what things look like in the Crystal area.

Reply to this TR

oct-7-2013-crystal-mtn
tortiseshell
2013-10-07 16:08:20