telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/19/17, 09:40 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2013 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  October 2013 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Oct 7, 2013 Crystal Mtn
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oct 7, 2013 Crystal Mtn  (Read 1724 times)
tortiseshell
5Member

Oct 7, 2013 Crystal Mtn
« on: 10/07/13, 05:08 PM »

Chris, Anthony and I took advantage of fine weather and snowfall on Crystal Mtn. to get this month's turns in. October provided Karmic whiplash from our experience the weekend before on Rainier, just before it closed. Went from from big wet winds to full on sunshine and warm breeze this time! Initially headed for Silver Basin but readjusted and made our way to the top of the bucket.  Snow was sparse until the upper basin.  Had a fine ascent, loaded on (SEX) Silverado Express thanks to Ron and Paula who headed up to collect pinecones.  I learned that many of the trees growing at Crystal are from the harvest of those cones. Got fist shakes at us as we passed two other skiers and one snowboarder while on the Silverado Lift. I think it was only capable of handling a triple load, Sorry.... we had nothing to do with the lift crew... A big shout of thanks to Ron and Paula who dialed us in unexpectedly! Coverage at top is doable but it is boney underneath.  Made two laps and appreciated the walk down realizing how good the express service was! Exiting out of Hen Skin Lake, I found an ice axe. ID it and I'll be sure you get it back.  While at the summit, only saw the snowboarder as he headed down. Very quiet on the hill with one other party of two that we saw. Occasional hikers on the road. We were a party of three. One can walk to the summit easily or skin from the top bowl. Turf is looking pretty good out there! Another fill layer will be sweet!
MtnPavlas

Re: Oct 7, 2013 Crystal Mtn
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/13, 09:03 PM »

Hey Terry, glad you got your October fix... in contrast to the last September weekend on Rainier - I met you and crew on the way up as you braved the elements. Thanks for reporting on what things look like in the Crystal area.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.