Home > Trip Reports > Oct 5, 2013, Ptarmigan Ridge, Rainbow Ridge Run

Oct 5, 2013, Ptarmigan Ridge, Rainbow Ridge Run

10/5/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by unclebo on 10/7/13 7:30am
Hoping for some decent snow in the Mt. Baker area we took a chance on the area around Table Mountain.  Obviously folks had been up there to Artist Point and skied around that area but as we went further back we came across a Rainbow while we skied Ptarmigan Ridge area.  There was about 60 centimeters of snow between 3,700 and 5,000 there, not quite corn but light enough to ski if you stayed to the slightly shaded areas - we did about 1,000 feet twice for a very nice day.
Thanks for posting - I've been wondering what things look like in this area. The 3rd photo is magazine material with the dramatic lighting and pristine snow cover.

Anyone happen to have any recent eyes on how much snow is in the Artist Point/Table Mountain/Lake Ann/Ptarmigan Ridge environs?  Less concerned about the quality of the snow for actual turns as for where the coverage is to facilitate a longer tour.  Thanks for any info you might have!

I was up there this weekend. The Table snowfield is smalllllllllllllll....but we got in a few turns. Easy bootpack laps.

No idea on going out on Ptarmigan. Lots of walking and little skinning from what I could see.

author=cstefanic link=topic=29281.msg123359#msg123359 date=1381875349]
I was up there this weekend. The Table snowfield is smalllllllllllllll....but we got in a few turns. Easy bootpack laps.

No idea on going out on Ptarmigan. Lots of walking and little skinning from what I could see.

Thanks for the beta - this is really helpful for planning!

Reply to this TR

oct-5-2013-ptarmigan-ridge-rainbow-ridge-run
unclebo
2013-10-07 14:30:04