Home > Trip Reports > October 4, 2013, Chinook Pass with Mr. Fox

October 4, 2013, Chinook Pass with Mr. Fox

10/4/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by radka on 10/5/13 3:02am
Rumor had it there was skiable snow at Chinook Pass so Kenji, Aki and I set out to verify if the gossip was true. I had never skied in October in my life before so I was having a hard time wrapping my head around this €“ turns out I have been missing out! First we went to check out the saddle by Yakima Pk which was still frozen in the morning. My feet suffered the initial shock of being in ski boots again and felt like they were turning the color of Aki€™s tongue €“ i.e. purple. The skiing in the saddle wasn€™t very good €“ heavy, grabby, or frozen so we decided to check the area across the street around Naches.

We toured along the PCT, crossing a number of creeks that still had running water.

And then we met Mr. Fox €“ who was not the least bothered by our presence. Just the opposite.

You people do not excite me. One little bit.
http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/20/Chinook-Pass-with-Mr-Fox-Octob/i-n782N5m/0/XL/RAD_5993-Edit-XL.jpg" />

I said I want double French fries with my order!
http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/20/Chinook-Pass-with-Mr-Fox-Octob/i-wXLP87W/0/XL/RAD_6005-Edit-XL.jpg" />

I laugh at my own jokes, he he
http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/20/Chinook-Pass-with-Mr-Fox-Octob/i-6JZSdtg/0/XL/RAD_6009-Edit-XL.jpg" />

This is how you do it kids - start your day with a little stretching
http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/20/Chinook-Pass-with-Mr-Fox-Octob/i-sXwD4vJ/0/XL/RAD_6012-Edit-XL.jpg" />

Then proceed with rolling in the snow

After Mr. Fox got bored with us and left for another sunny spot, we continued towards Peak 6567 which appeared to have great ski potential.

We were able to skin all the way to the summit and ski off of it. Definitely the best October turns I have ever had  ;D

Things got a little more interesting, exciting even, at the exit as we were trying to find our way out. We got to practice tree climbing on skis, my favorite thing.

We contoured the PCT until finally reconnecting with it a little below Naches Peak. We observed surface hoar forming in shaded areas.

Thanks to Kenji and Aki for a super fun day in the mountains!

Those fox pictures belong in a coffee table book!  Awesome!  Thanks for the great report.  Several reports in the last couple days at Chinook Pass, and each showing different terrain and a different experience.  Pretty amazing access to many ski options.

That fox is awesome-yet another reason backcountry skiing is so amazing.

Wonderful pictures of the fox!  Good for you skiing out to test the snow, and getting a twofer with the good snow, and the fox! Thanks

Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

The fox must have gotten locked out of the Park so had to hang out at the pass..

Nicely done, Radka and crew. When we skied on Thursday, I thought Friday would be no good after seeing the damage the sun had done there but wow - you, guys, got in another awesome day. Can't wait to see what kind of reports we get from Saturday. As Mike pointed out, it's interesting to see the different terrain options in the area but also where folks may be headed as the snow conditions change.
And, of course, the fox photos are phenomenal.

sorry, can't help adding just a few more:

Up to the summit

Down from the summit

I love that hill, Point 6567.  I'll always remember it as Brenda's Peak, one of Mike and her favorite go to places...

I want to see a picture of what Aki was doing with the fox so close.

Love the pictures of the fox! 

another:

Though I kept her leash tight, Aki was calm as if the fox was an annoying neighbor cat.

Nice photos Radka and Kenji. I was wondering how that fox was so relaxed with the dog there. Last time I saw a fox spot a dog, it took off like a blur.

Hopefully all this is a portend of good things to come.

Reply to this TR

october-4-2013-chinook-pass-with-mr-fox
radka
2013-10-05 10:02:52