Home > Trip Reports > October 3, 2013, another Chinook Pass report

October 3, 2013, another Chinook Pass report

10/3/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/3/13 2:22pm
jtack, Polly, Becky, Ben and I executed a successful plan B ski day at Chinook Pass on Thursday, 10-3.  The weather report said sun, and the past days had brought snow, and the Wenatchee crew thought this sounded like the perfect time for our first trip to Muir.  We considered gambling on the gate closure, hoping that the government would start up, and the road to Paradise would be open.  The nail in that coffin was a washout that closed White Pass.  Message received, no skiing above Paradise.  Got it.   

Pre-ski eve.  We're going skiing damnit.

This was my first skiing at Chinook Pass.  Talk about low hanging fruit!  We skinned straight out of the parking lot for our first run.  No need to carry a big lunch.  We came back to the car to fuel back up.

Can you believe we'll ski right back to the car?!

Writing our names in the snow

Good stuff

After this first run, we headed over the hill and down to Tipsoo Lake for lunch.  That was a really nice tour.  We wondered about whether we were in the Park, and in jeopardy of irritating the Ranger who was trying to keep people out.  Ben pointed out that we'd have bought a map if they were open, and then we'd know for sure.

Nature sighting

skin tug-o-war

When we returned from the Tipsoo tour, the parking lot looked like a climber's camp and felt a bit like a party.  Someone was making stew on the hood of her car.  There were three groups drinking beer after their tours.  We met a couple of guys who had just skied on Naches Peak across the road, and we got a good story about a Greenwater native who gave the Ranger a stinging "you're just being a prick" in response to his "I'm just doing my job".

Parking lot party

We went for a run on Naches Peak and skied a pitch that ends across the street from Lake Tipsoo.  The day was warm.   Shady aspects were still pretty nice, but the sun cooked slopes were challenging.

"Hey, get down from there!  This area is closed".

Pretty nice views.

It was a great ski day.  A pretty decent second fiddle.

On the way home, we got a nice view of the Stuart range.  I'm sure it just got a fraction of the snow that Chinook Pass got, but it was white.  Neat view of Stuart through the wind machines too.

Wind Machines and Mt. Stuart
author=mikerolfs link=topic=29249.msg123067#msg123067 date=1380864156]
we got a good story about a Greenwater native who gave the Ranger a stinging "you're just being a prick" in response to his "I'm just doing my job".

Classy.  Did  you thank the Greenwater native for being a great ambassador for the sport?

Nope, just listened with slack jaw. 

Not the greatest idea to ski with a dog in the park as they are not allowed.  I get it - I ski with my pup.

Did I maybe misinterpret and this is not in the park?

As for the poor ranger - he IS just doing his job and should not be treated so poorly.

If you (and Fido) stay on the east side of the summit you're not in the park. The bridge over the road is the PCT - dogs, goats, skiers and horses are allowed.

author=Chuck C link=topic=29249.msg123071#msg123071 date=1380898495]
Classy.  Did  you thank the Greenwater native for being a great ambassador for the sport?

Usually that is my job to harass the help and the clueless, Someone taking my role?

What a wonderful day to be out skiing, we were not going to be dissuaded from our task.  Not buy a government shutdown, not buy a road being washed out, not buy an un friendly NPS Ranger we were going skiing, and a great day we had.  It was great to see so many people out enjoying the snow.  It was not great snow by and large, but there were a few good turns to be had, and I'm sure that the people that know the lay of the land up there found some good turns. As for the Ranger, I talked to him, he was not in the park, he was east of the boundary.  Being an ex fed myself,  I have seen the transition that comes over someone when you give them a gun and a bullet proof vest, not always, but often, they are not that much fun to hangout with anymore.  His job was to tell people the park was closed, there are a number of ways to accomplish that, in my opinion, he chose the; I have a gun and a bullet proof vest method.  Our sunshine, let's go skiing good feeling was not eroded for long.

author=PhilH link=topic=29249.msg123080#msg123080 date=1380907717]
If you (and Fido) stay on the east side of the summit you're not in the park. The bridge over the road is the PCT - dogs, goats, skiers and horses are allowed.

Avoid entering into the park territory with your dog off the PCT itself -- at least within spitting distance of the road -- I made that mistake once -- $75 fine.

Nice outing guys (and gals)!!  Haven't quite hit snow myself yet, looking toward the next dump.

Dammit it Mike and Jamie!  You're harshing on my Fall rock climbing mellow.  I never understood why everyone has to post videos and photos of pow shots in October.  It's very distracting...

Don't be bummed, it was not pow, but you would have loved it.  Keep working on those sore finger tips till you need to put your gloves on!  We were just chasing a wacky snow fetish.

Well at least the B/C skiing firm of Tack and Rolfs is always an inspiration.

Reply to this TR

october-3-2013-another-chinook-pass-report
mikerolfs
2013-10-03 21:22:36