Home > Trip Reports > 6/8 Adams South Route ski

6/8 Adams South Route ski

6/8/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Randonnee on 6/9/05 12:21am
Yesterday I made it to around 11,000 ft on the South Rte of Adams. There was up to 6" new there, slight wind effect. The new snow, to around 11k where I bailed, is on consolidated wet granular and bonded like glue. I stayed close to the climber's left ridge near the many exposed rocks, I did not go out on the middle of the face to test slab potential, but did not suspect it, there was little evidence of wind effect (as had been forecast). Starting at around 8000' was an inch of new snow on top of wet granular, which gradually increased and then noticeably increased at around 10000 ft.

There were tracks from one group of four that had skied from a little above 9000' (?) or higher perhaps the day before. I ended up walking and carrying skis because of the sticky new snow when the sun came out. The clouds rolled in and out, I bailed when I could see the face to ski. It was sunny and warm when the clouds rolled out. I had waited an hour at the base of the face for suitable clearing before going up. Two more stops to regain visibility were required on the way down. As had been forecast, it was clearing in the afternoon, so the high thin clouds were moving through. One other foot party turned around at 9000 ft.

Although I didn't even get to the false summit, I count it as a good trip with a lot of nice turns to the Round The Mountain Trail. My avalanche dog was thrilled to charge down the soft snow on the face behind me after hardly any such activity this season in WA! It was great to see my black Lab do her otter slide on the face- she exhuberently wallows then slides headfirst on one shoulder down a snow slope for a little ways.

There are no road access problems to the TH. It is a quick walk from the TH campground to the skiing. The Climbing Ranger report for 6/7 at the FS stated hard snow and "crampons required" above 9000 ft. I carried my Grivel aluminum crampons but never needed them. There was hardly any step kicking required- the granular snow beneath the new was soft to my high point at around 11000'. There is more rock showing all the way up than I think I have ever seen for June, but the late snow has left skiable coverage down to the Round The Mountain Trail for now.

I hope to go back in a few days if there is better weather, I think it will be in good shape.
Thanks for the report, Rob!

Great report, I hope this weather will throw us a bone this weekend.

That isn't the powder dog with a brief cameo in this video is it? ;^)

You're welcome.

Gusk, I could not play the video on my ancient 5 yo computer. My dog was on KOMO in 1993 when she was first trained. She is 12 yrs old and she still lives to run snowy mountains!

Reply to this TR

6-8-adams-south-route-ski
Randonnee
2005-06-09 07:21:51