Home > Trip Reports > September 26, 2013, Mt Hood, Palmer Snowfield

September 26, 2013, Mt Hood, Palmer Snowfield

9/26/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 9/26/13 6:02am
Little fresh snow, a weather window, and a need for September turns.

Overslept -- my alarm should go off around 4:45 this afternoon, so I missed twilight / sunrise.  Left the annex lot at 7am and hiked Silcox access road in sneakers.  Switched to skins just above the hut, and motored up to the top bench.

Timberline had packed and groomed the canyon and a single lane on the upper snowfield, where they were making laps in a snow-cat with a group of snowboarders and photographers.  I skinned the shoulder of their groomed lane near the lift line.  Everyone was friendly and gave waves.

Upper snowfield skier's left of the groomed lane was untouched.  Barefoot, the fresh snow would have been ankle deep.  Made turns away from the photo shoot down to the midway catch line.  Light snow over a firm base with only an occasional scratch of ice or rain crust.  Would have liked to lap it, but I was late.

Came across the catch line, rode the groomed canyon down to just above upper equipment park, and walked out.  Said hi to a couple fellow TAY'ers skinning the canyon out ahead of a few large groups booting / carrying.

Timberline is scheduled to go fall operations October 4th.  Looks like they'll have no trouble making it. 

September - Month 59. 

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

september-26-2013-mt-hood-palmer-snowfield
Hawthorne
2013-09-26 13:02:04