Home > Trip Reports > September 25, 2013, Muir Snowfield

September 25, 2013, Muir Snowfield

9/25/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 9/25/13 10:17am
Ten of us Tay diehards did the walk to just above Pebble Creek and started skinning today.  It was snoaining at Paradise and there were a couple inches of fresh snow once we left the paved trail for dirt.  We were at the limit of the low clouds most of the way to Camp Muir.  Fortunately the wind was nearly nonexistent because the winter temperature was quite a change from last week. There was just enough (4-6") fresh snow to make the descent smooth to 6800' or so with only a few lightly covered rocks grabbing our bases.  Then we packed up the skis and walked down in spitting snow and mist.
Wow!  Ten tayers toting (s)ticks.  Beginning to sound alot like Christmas! I hope you saved some fresh tracks for us Sun worshippers...

Great news.  Me want fresh

must be one of the "best news" TR's in months now ;-)
Thanks for sharing...

Here's one of Zack, 24 hours later... Somewhat same zone.

link to bring the pic above to life - http://thesnowtroopers.com/2013/mt-rainier-wa-fresh-snow-clip-from-today/

Nice vid of Snoholic! Can't wait to see the full production!
Best Sept. turns for my book... hope it stays good for the weekenders.

DCM and I left the parking lot about 10:30 Thursday, hit Pebble Creek at 11:30, and then had silky smooth snow from Pebble Creek on up, yesterday.  Very nice!  Saw a few familiar faces - Oyvind, Crustos and Cam (not THE Kam ;>)

We had views of the mountain on the drive up, then walked up in the cloud, which started thinning at about the 8000'.  At turn around time, it lifted way up for good views and visibility on the ski down.  The turns were fabulous, but all too short. 

Back at the parking lot and apres beers by 2:15, and home to a happy wife by 5:30 ish.  Short day, good day.  Thank you.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=29190.msg122902#msg122902 date=1380321507]
Back at the parking lot and apres beers by 2:15, and home to a happy wife by 5:30 ish.  Short day, good day.  Thank you.

Great to hear it!  Wish I could have gone with you guys.  Still aching over missing it.

Nice meeting you, Rusty! It was a fabulous day, so glad we hit it during the great weather window :)

Some video from the 25th & 26th

https://vimeo.com/75777637

Reply to this TR

september-25-2013-muir-snowfield
silaswild
2013-09-25 17:17:27