Home > Trip Reports > September 18,19, 2013, Old Snowy

September 18,19, 2013, Old Snowy

9/18/13
Posted by jtack on 9/22/13 9:26am
If you talk about skiing around Mike, you had better be careful, or you will be taking your skis for a walk.  I had been in the White Pass area in August, and said that Old Snowy sure looked like it would be a fun place to ski, but since the bridge on the N. Fork Tieton was "washed out" it added about four miles to the approach, and took some of the fun out of the idea.  A trip report from August added  additional incentive, so I called the Forest Service and tried to find out about the condition of the bridge. I was told the bridge was not washed out , but was unsound for cars, but was passable on foot.  I ask about bicycles, and it sounded like they would work as well.  Since I had suggested the trip, Mike did not want to poach it, but he was really desperate for a ski.  The plan was hatched, a midday escape from work, take the bikes, ride the road to the trail head, hike as far as we could before dark, throw up a camp and go see what we could find to ski in the morning. 

The first glimpse

Mounting up

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6pKnNJBYuA4/Uj9x390jHVI/AAAAAAAAFQE/9gTct24sk8c/s640/IMG_4622.JPG" />

Mike wisely decided to put a bike rack on his bike and it turned out to be the real ticket.  I made out OK carrying my pack, and it only took us about 25 minutes to pedale in, but I was sure ready to get that bike seat out of the crack of my ass.  We started our bike ride at about 1615 and we were setting up camp at Tieton pass at 1915, the trail is in great shape, a nice grade.  We were still in summer mode, and while we were fine, we were reminded that fall is here, and next trip we will carry warmer gear.  We did not leap out of bed in the morning and did not get started until 0745, it was a perfect fall day, crisp, but warming quickly.  We were at the turn off to McCall basin in about an hour, it is a wonderful spot, with fantastic camping sites everywhere.  It also has one of the most robust stand of Alaskan Yellow Cedar I have seen outside South East Alaska.  I saw several trees that were very close to three foot DBH.

The upper basin is grand as well.

The snow was firm enough that foot hardware was comforting, as well as some type of device for self arrest.  What a great spot, glorious views in every direction, and while neither of us said it out loud, we were each thinking it was going to be a short ski, but the higher we climbed, another little hidden patch would come into view until we were just below the summit of Old Snowy.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6YicyW3seF8/Uj9x7K0eBMI/AAAAAAAAFRA/NVHB69AgBPw/s640/IMG_4656.JPG" />

I had to indulge Mike in yet another pagan ritual.

The ski down was a little firm, but not bad, a little sun cupped, but again not bad.  We left the summit around 1300 and we were back at the car by 1900, a steady but un hurried pace.

Thanks for the hero shot mike.

Voile makes tough skis!

author=jtack link=topic=29171.msg122793#msg122793 date=1379895967">
...but I was sure ready to get that bike seat out of the crack of my ass. 

baHAHAHA!!   ;D

The Goat Rocks Bike and Ski!  An awesome trip.  If you discount the bike, it was 16 miles for 1600 feet.  100 feet of skiing per mile walked.  The exit was very very satisfying... coasting down the well graded road.. no effort, fast gravel.

And the sky...  So nice!

We could just almost see FreeBird skiing over at Paradise...(this TAY link for his report)

The view of the volcanoes is excellent from Old Snowy.  What a trip. 

Great write-up, Jamie, and great trip.  Still excited.

You guys rock!  I was up at clear lake visiting family from Yakima... hoping to drive up that road but was bummed to find it closed.  I was hoping to scope it out for future adventures so thanks for the beta... it definitely looks like a great spot!

really appreciate those pics of a bone dry McCall Basin.  keep thinking that this is prime habitat for a cabin or two ~ could make a mid-winter high traverse a thing of beauty..    8)

Reply to this TR

september-18-19-2013-old-snowy
jtack
2013-09-22 16:26:07