Home > Trip Reports > june 5 slush cup recon

june 5 slush cup recon

6/15/05
Posted by sag on 6/6/05 9:46am
 After a few months not bieng able to play with the kids I finaly got a break. So with the usual hour of sleep for a sunday jaunt, I met up with MADDOG, Ron, JW and JibberD at the tall timbers for breakfast and caffiene. I won't pretend I know what time we left for the trailhead but I can tell you we were not in any hurry. The plan was to do a loop from  the castle to foss and a small car shuttle, but touring with a pack of trouble makers tends to slow the pace and change plans frequently. we made our way up along the trail and all was going to smoothly so we thought we would head off trail and add a little bushwhacking to spice things up. a little bootin up steep but firm corn made for good time so we screwed around as much as possble so as not to get out of character. As Castle peak came into site we decided to check on the slushcup. the slope above it was bieng attacked by tacoma mounties doing rope and self arrest drills and the snow was falling as if it were november. The cup itself is still really consolidated but the the top is just starting to show signs of promise. At this point we were standing in front of a slope the "Looked" good enough to ski and the jones got the better of us. So we climed up to the saddle stripped skins and dropped in. JW went first and of course made it look easy as pie(I love pie), then called up after flawless turns "its a little grabby." not because of difficult snow but because I strive to be a one of a kind so when My turn came I decided to make it look as hard as possible witha hip check and a few elbo deep fist plunges for good style. the snow skied well and  the run back down our up track was very nice but the June blizzard and constant changing temps made for a fun and wierd day in the mountains. fine snow good turns and great people made for another nights sleep worth skipping. I have some pics but seem to have misplaced my camera ;-) I'll post em as soon as I find it.            
I like Pie too.

It was really nice having Stefan back in action again after a brief absence, and he's right, somehow we did seem to make this more of a "Geezer's" pace, but we still had way to much fun  ;D
.......so when My turn came I decided to make it look as hard as possible.....

Don't kid yourself for one minute, Stefan was back skiing, like a duck taking to water.  We all had our own set of challenges in dealing with the flat light and blowing snow  ;D let alone the wooden "devil's club" sticking out right in the middle of our line.  It was some sort of contorted tree limb sticking just above the snow surface, that seemed like it had a magnetic field around it, pulling you towards it with every turn  >:(.  I do have a few photos HERE, more terrain shots than action shots, but the weather was such a mixed bag, that it was very difficult to shoot in the ever changing conditions.  We went from shirtsleeve to full winter conditions, back to shirt sleeves during the process of the whole day  8).   All in all it was another fine day with fun company.

Nice touring with you all last Sunday.

It was an interesting day with highly variable weather and snow conditions.  It seemed wierd to me to be able to drive right up to the trailhead.  I think I kind of prefer the Winter method where you pay your dues by climbing that boulder field at Narada Falls to reach the road.  Keeps out the riff-raff, you know ;)

Here's a link to some pics:

That was fun indeed, despite the less than optimal summer conditions 8) Our primary goal was achieved,thanks to a great bunch of.....Slush Hunters  8)  That's right a new groovy movie!

Stefan - Great report for not having a lot to work with...
Jeanette and Jibber - Great pics, thanks.
Jerman - with what you had to work with in terms of light and scant footie, I don't know how you do it... Fun Viddy!!

Awesome viddy JW! What is that Lovett tune? Great action-hope to see ya at the shootz thsi weekend?!
Joe

Thanks Joe, that is "Give back my Heart" off Pontiac
I'm questionable for Saturday , but probable for Sunday 8)

Reply to this TR

june-5-slush-cup-recon
sag
2005-06-06 16:46:53