Home > Trip Reports > 9/7/2013, Mt Rainier - Muir Snowfield

9/7/2013, Mt Rainier - Muir Snowfield

9/7/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 9/8/13 11:12pm
Brian's TAY Month 19
Belinda's TAY Month 11 (1 more!!!!)

My girlfriend Belinda and I headed up to Paradise Friday night and slept in the car. We got an early start around 7:55am from Paradise and hiked the first 5-10 minutes together. I then decided to head up to Muir, since it was a beautiful day and try to get some extra skiing in. On the way up I decided to try for a single push w/o breaks and ended up having to take my first break around moon rocks a bit after 2 hours into the climb due to lack of calories and sluggish pace happening.  The hike from Paradise all the way to Muir was probably one of the most amazing I've seen. Crystal clear blue bird sky's as far as the eye could see. One of those days where you were so happy to be out enjoying the hot sun. I had clocked temps at 82 degree's on the snowfield at 9k+.

The snow from the storm on Friday was about 1 inch deep at 8800~ and up to about 4-6 at Muir. Between 9200-9600 there were some cracks and even some cracks on the boot trail. I decided to chop out the 'bridge' that covered it so that nobody would stop on it and crack and ankle so if you head up be careful as there are cracks right on/beside the boot trail. They're clearly marked now, but with the heat happening lately I would probably say they'll continue to open so be cautious.

Once I hit Muir about 3:20 minutes in, took a little break, ate some food and put my pack on to Ski down and meet Belinda. I caught her at 9300ft and she was on a killer pace to Muir. She did it just below 5 hours and knocked a full 1 hour and 30 minutes off her last trip to Muir last year! (GO BABY).

Once at Muir, we drank our beers, enjoyed the views and then what we didn't want happened. The sun went away, visibility went from miles to about 50 ft and she was determined to get her turns in. We stayed on the skiers right of the boot track just off it so we could see definition in the snow, not get lost and avoid the big crack on the skiers right of the track. The turns from Muir down to about 9k were a bit mogully.  From 9000-8000 (they were pretty fun and some of the best turns I've had in a few months). There's a short boot pack from here down to hit more snow that was maybe 50ft long. From there to pebble it was great skiing to a bit icy.

http://www.strava.com/activities/80855737

Beta:
Some ice was showing in places, I suspect this will only get worse over the next few weeks. We booted to Muir in Tennis shoes (water proof) w/o much issue, though I think micro spikes would have helped in some spots when the boot trail turned into a glisade trail.

Pics from the trip

Reply to this TR

9-7-2013-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
BrianT
2013-09-09 06:12:03