Home > Trip Reports > September 07, 2013, Mt Rainier, Paradise Glacier

September 07, 2013, Mt Rainier, Paradise Glacier

9/7/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Schwerkraft on 9/8/13 3:58pm
Decided for a quick trip up the Paradise Glacier. Approached via the Skyline trail. Less snow than I believe I have seen in prior years around the same time. Foot of Paradise Glacier was rather icy and barely doable with ski crampons, better to have boot crampons. Lots of open crevasses at the base. Saw some ski tracks down on the far west side through a steeper section that seemed to have some nice corn coverage. I considered skiing the same track, but deteriorating weather, low visibility, and colder temps led me to follow my uphill track. I got somewhere around 8000ft when I ran into a rather big crevasse that seems to come up all the way from the terminus of the glacier to where I was. There was a bridge on climbers right that looked easily doable. Skiing on the glacier was better than expected. On the way out I came across the sign - thought it was rather funny: sign didn't heed its own advice  ;D

I like the fact that the last two photos bear witness to your TAY handle-- Schwerkraft=gravity, auf Deutsch  ;)

Nice, wasn't thinking about that. Somebody has some language skills here. The cracked sign had me laughing when I came across it.

Reply to this TR

september-07-2013-mt-rainier-paradise-glacier
Schwerkraft
2013-09-08 22:58:55