Home > Trip Reports > August 31, Mt Hood, ZigZag Turns

August 31, Mt Hood, ZigZag Turns

8/31/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 9/1/13 2:45am
Squeaked out another month.  All of a sudden it was the last week, and it rained on every other available day.  Turned out the rain made smooth, knife buttered, beautiful corn.

Climbed from what's becoming my usual spot in the T-Line annex lot.  This time straight up the Silcox hut access road to the hut, and top Mile, base of Palmer. 

There were some folks out in motorized paragliders.  They ended up flying around the crater, then got way above the summit.

I struck out climbers left of Palmer, connecting ridge lines and trying to step where others had.  Soon the ZigZag came into view, and I got a little giddy.

Skins when I got over to continuous snow, and up to Illumination saddle.  Last year there were swimming pool size cups.  This year, the snow is rock-littered, but otherwise really smooth.

The saddle itself was a little spooky.  The wind was ripping up Reid Glacier making standing on the saddle a little tough.  I didn't linger.

Some rock fall going on.  Pay attention, and when the big ones roll toward you, move...

May have been my best August.  Big, high speed GS turns on smooth just softening corn.  Couldn't help it and rode continuous snow down into the high walled canyon, which requires a short skin back out.  Then down as far as possible in the continuous snow fingers between ZigZag and Mile canyons. 

Group of folks practicing self arrests and anchoring where I hopped out of the canyon. 

Traversed over to the top of Mile, then walked down the climber's trail into the holiday weekend masses.  Could have ridden the Mile run out to the upper equipment park.

August

nice lookin' snow. rockfall, always sketchy. rock photo looks like Death Valley- at a place called the 'Racetrack'.   Motorized paragliders, wow

Reply to this TR

august-31-mt-hood-zigzag-turns
Hawthorne
2013-09-01 09:45:46