Home > Trip Reports > A few Adventures in OZ and NZ

A few Adventures in OZ and NZ

9/15/13
Posted by Kyle Miller on 8/30/13 8:24am
Not trying to rub it in but I am tired from breaking trail the past few days so I thought I would write up a TR.

First off huge thanks to EB for making this possible and the main reason I am down here is to promote Splitboarding and to tell my story through slideshows at both the Kiwi and Aussie splitboard Festivals with a few additional days in Australia and 3 months (yep 3 months) in New Zealand.

My adventures are not all in the snow but since this is turns all year I will focus on those. For more pictures updated almost daily here is a link to

Day 1: Deadhorse Pass: NSW Main Range

My first day of touring in the Southern Hemi was at a place called Dead Horse Pass. Like my standard tradition I brought snow with me but it had came with avengeance, all on whiteout with snow blowing us sideways. I was touring with Adam West, owner of Firstlight snowboards and creator of the Down Under Splitfest so after running around in circles breaking a fresh skin track we thought it would be bad for the owner and pro athlete to get lost on the day of the event. My first turns were ski turns in powder. It was weird but it was rad!!

This is what they call tree skiing

Its been months since I broke trail

Look at that rhime ice

Day 2: Gothika: NSW Main Range, Australia

The next day we woke up to sunshine and made our way up to the backside of Gothika ski resort and I saw the alpine for the first time. It was big, open, rollish and most off all affected by a rain event then frozen over night. Conditions started firm but as the day went on it soften up to mank conditions. People would comment have you ever skied anything like this to which I would respond, every April in the Cascades. The terrain was great for touring with endless options of whatever you wanted both steeps and mellows were there to be found. In the end I came to the conclusion, if this terrain was in Washington people would be all over it. Lets say Snoqulamie Pass but steeper terrain and a few trees here and there but it is no Alpental, actually there is only one Alpental.

Our adventure starts and ends at this dam.

In these lands wind rules supreme

I thought at least Amar would find this interesting

April style turns from corn to mank in 1,000 vertical feet.

Australian Spines

Round 2

I love these trees

Looking back on at the Terrain.

Adam West of Firstlight Snowboards and the one random Red tree

Day 3 Dead Horse Pass NSW Main Range Australia

The third day brought me back to Dead Horse Pass but this time it was blue skies. There was at least 15 splitters all putting in steep skin track so I put in a nice guide style one and beat all them to the top. I joked that I hoped to return in two years to see everyone putting in 12 degree skin tracks. While the terrain we were on was quite mellow off in the distance was a few steep rock lines to get the adrenaline pumping. The day was short because our ride back to Norwa (Adams house) was 6 hours long, Yes a 6 hour commute.

Didn't expect that did you!

The next day we went back to Sydney and after a nice plate of Kangaroo steak I was off to the Airport and more specifically Queenstown, New Zealand.

Thank you Australia and Adams Family for being so kind to a dirt bag backcountry ski bum.

The Remarkables, New Zealand

I arrived at the end of a two month drought and the next day it rained in town and dropped almost a foot of new snow in the high country. We were off to the Remarkables and riding the B.C. My first run was a steep couloir which was wind loaded and I carefully dropped in and hoped around until I got it to move, luckily I was insanely cautious and after it slide I rode next to the debris all the way to the base of Double cone and lake Alta (I would say it was in Lord of the Rings but everything here is). The rest of the day we stuck to mellower slopes and had a blast riding in nice wind blown pow before calling it a day and enjoying the view of our tracks to the left and moguls to the right from the parking lot.

Welcome to the Southern Alps

There's no snow in the High Country

Until I arrive

Yeah, Queenstown is a rather rad spot.

Thank you Adam Fleming for showing me around your home

Back to trail breaking mode

We're back in Winter cation mode

I can get used to this

Ahhh, the Double Cone

Cardrona Backcountry, New Zealand

The next day was spend around Cardrona Peak which is just outside of Cardrona resort. We skinned and rode around a few different couloirs and the nice mellow slopes that would be a Heli ski delight. There were a few other lines that caught my eyes but whatever you went down you would have to climb up and the climb up looked hellacious. The terrain was really fun and had options for anyone from beginner to advanced.

Home of the Skittle skiers

That Couloir looks nice

Queenstown and the Double cone from Cardrona

Adam skinning up the back bowls of Cardi

Welcome to the Southern Alps

Adam skinning to the summit of Cardrona Peak

Yes please, May I have another

Why, yes you may!

I could do this for 3 months

I originally visited New Zealand ten years ago when I first got a splitboard and it is amazing to see my progression and some back stories on the terrain. Quite a few people here in NZ are like "Oh god, it's a splitboarding gaper" that is until I crush them on the up track and ski semi aggressive lines that they are following me too. I'm almost a week deep into a spring season in the Southern Alps and each day gets me more excited for the next. It's like the Cascade Range just in the middle of the Pacific.

It's been great putting my mark in the Backcountry of the Southern Hemisphere.

This sign seems to fit this experience quite well.
Love it. Keep living the dream and maybe it will inspire more of us to do the same! Safe travels

Nice Kyle.  Thanks for the update.  The third to the last pic is a printer; love the light and shadows!

great trip report!!

I sure do miss the snow gums and the old meat pie!

P.S "Gothika" is spelt Guthega

Notice that DOD said nothing about missing the OZ/NZ snow quality.  ???  ::)

It was really hot in Seattle today, but these pictures are very refreshing. Please keep posting!

Great to see your TR and photos. Jill and I remember touring and also riding on the South island. We also toured on North Island.  I also took a plane for some touring on Mount Cook. Great terrain.

Did you tour on the North Island ?

In all honesty my focus is on the South Island for the next 3 months.

There has been a 2 month drought, that is until I arrived ;)

thanks for keeping us updated!

Right on, Kyle!  Live it up!

Nice work doooder! Keep up the nice work and post some pics of Tex, too!

makes the 1" on the Muir snowfield I rode yesterday not as exciting. :) having fun?!!

I'm guessing electrical work is the furthest thing from your mind.  Keep the pics/reports coming as we are slaving away....

Is surfing on the itinerary -  &, ride the gum trees

Reply to this TR

a-few-adventures-in-oz-and-nz
Kyle Miller
2013-08-30 15:24:59