Home > Trip Reports > Muir snowfield 8/24/2013

Muir snowfield 8/24/2013

8/24/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BrianT on 8/26/13 2:56am
My Girlfriend (Belinda), Jake and Victor headed up to Paradise for a fun stroll up to get our Aug turns in.  The trail is melted out except a few (2-3) snow crossings for maybe 10-20 at max on each crossing. At pebble creek, the trail does it's normal turn from rock -> creek -> snow. From there it was boot packing up and avoiding the folks using the boot pack as a glisade trail down.  Once we got to moon rocks, the snow past that looked like crap and very suncupped, Up to a foot or higher in places. We decided to head to hikers right of moon rocks into the little cove there up to about 8800-8900 ft.  From there we had a beer, ate some pringles and got ready for our ski down. The ski down was very sticky but really manageable without a lot of chatter on the skis.

I'll try to get some pics up later of the trip, the weather was horrid from seattle, rainy but once we hit paradise it broke off, and the clouds went in/out and we were able to see the mountain and beautiful views. The weather got pretty cold, maybe upper 30's or low 40's with 20+ mph behind rocks.

Month 18 down!

Added pics

Once you pop you can't stop? It was about to POP with the air pressure

It was an interesting day. I don't think I saw you, but I saw your tracks and skiid there as well. Above 9000' it was dreadful. I put my skis on my back again and carried them. (Why?) Should have left them because the Muir snowfield was awful as it always is this time of year. It snowed or sleeted a little bit. Headed down about 2:00.

Coming down the foot trail with a double wide load is always a joy with the peak summer crowds.

Good job on month 18!

Thanks, guys, for posting. I'm hoping to bag my August turns in the Paradise area because it looks like I'll be alone so need to pick something relatively safe.

Did you, guys, consider traversing to and skiing down the Paradise glacier? Or is it not looking good/safe any more? Saw a TR from couple weeks ago and was hoping it'd still hold OK.

Thanks for any beta. Also, if anyone's up for something this upcoming Saturday, please shoot me a PM.

I was also on the Muir Snowfield last Saturday. I got a leisurely start from Seattle leaving town about 9 after seeing promising views from the parks web-cams. The skinning was pleasant from the start of continuous snow just above Pebble Creek up to about 9400 feet where the sun cups became increasingly firm. The addition of ski crampons allowed me to more easily skin the last few hundred feet up to Camp Muir.

The skiing down was pretty typical for late August - small and dirty sun cups that were easily negotiated. It was just fun to be getting turns in.

Reply to this TR

muir-snowfield-8-24-2013
BrianT
2013-08-26 09:56:12