Home > Trip Reports > June 4, 2005, Muir snowfield

June 4, 2005, Muir snowfield

6/4/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/4/05 9:46pm
Dorothea, Robie and the soon to be married Maxine and Ray broke out the clouds at pebble creek. Coincidently this is also where the continous snow starts .We choose to boot up and were treated to a pretty spectacular ice fall off the nisqually upper glacier. It appeared to be a large as a VW bus but no smaller than a Honda Element.
The whole thing picked up quite a bit of snow and ended in with clouds of snow dust headed down onto the flats.
after a breif stop at Muir where we jioned forces with DOn ,Marilyn and Nick. We skied down by Anvil rock on some of the best and smoothest corn this year. Perhaps 3000' of supremely good skiing.  
some of the best and smoothest corn this year. Perhaps 3000' of supremely good skiing.  

I'll second that. Went to Muir with a friend who had never toured before (but she's an excellent skier and athlete), found bluebird skies above Pebble Creek, made it to Muir in about 3:25 including instruction in applying skins and snap kick turns. Snow was smooth, soft, and really fast all the way down. Tons of climbers, but not many skiers.

Greg
yesterday would have been good to "Hook" someone into our sport.thanks for posting a pic.
My pics at

Robie: Yeah, she's stoked. I did mention that sometimes the snow isn't quite this good, and sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate like it did yesterday, but I'm sure she'll be back for more! She's a former junior national level alpine racer and a current competitive rower, so she's got most of the tools already.

Nice angulations in that photo, Greg. Is that you or your lady friend?

Yeah it was a plesant surpirse.  I was expecting to get rained on.  I should know better that the secret is climbing above the clouds.  

I couldn't belive that it was so silky smooth and consistant all the way from Muir to Pebble Creek.  What a day!!

Nick was another rookie out that day.  He'd only tried teleskiing on his own once before, and after a few tips he was skiing pretty damn good.  I think we have another one addicted.

Nice angulations in that photo, Greg. Is that you or your lady friend?

That's me, Jeff. The amazing thing is you could get going fast enough on Saturday to do that, not usually the case on the Muir Snowfield!

It looks like you guys had a great trip and were lucky to get above the clouds!  A couple of questions...
Does anyone know a link to a web site, such as an aviation site, that tells what level the cloud deck is at for various areas?  It seems that it would be helpful for those of us trying to get above the clouds.  Also, did any of you get a good look at the conditions on the Fuhrer Finger route as far as a climb and ski descent is concerned?

http://wxpro.ipilot.com/
Here's a good way to find the ceiling at your slider destination. This site also has other cool weather info not found on many weather links.
-Aaron

Reply to this TR

june-4-2005-muir-snowfield
Robie
2005-06-05 04:46:23