Home > Trip Reports > August 18, 2013, Muir

August 18, 2013, Muir

8/18/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 8/18/13 12:26pm
Reports of suncups are somewhat exaggerated. Encouraged a friend's first trip to Muir; making the trip more interesting/fun than travelling alone. Surprised to see only two other skiers total; it's like 2007 all over again.

Warm temps softened things, while a persistent breeze tried to keep things firm. Keeping to the sun and out of the breeze kept things manageable. Dirty snow was slow, but not sticky. Suncups from Muir down to the big bench below Anvil were ~0.5-1' deep asynchronous moguls -- not awful, but not good either. Below, things softened further, and cups decreased in size. We made open turns from there to Pebble Creek.

Was the skiing great? No. Was it bad? Not really. Was it unskiable? Not at all. Skiing is fun. and the mountain is big.

Get it when it's hot, sunny, and when the wind is light.
Thanks for the report, Charlie!  I'm starved for ski action and this report is just what the doctor ordered.

No problem! Seems like the TAY TR rate has dropped a lot this summer. Is everyone forgoing skis for other pursuits?

I agree, very few skiers out today.  Saw a few on Muir Snowfield.  Went down Paradise Glacier around 1pm and had the place to ourselves.  Still plenty of continuous turns, but some cracks have opened up that were not there last weekend.  Stayed far left after big crevasse around 8,000.  Still good with only a few short carries to the "oven".  Not bad for August.  Let it snow soon.

Please excuse the poor audio/video as it is first attempt at go pro to youtube.  Learning curve definitely in effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJAGKizPmU

Congratulations to Michael on his first trip to Muir.
It's been 35 years this month since my first adventure up to Muir snowfield.
We did not know what the heck we were doing, just high schoolers with recent drivers licenses in search of snow to ski in August.
Even then, what we call tourists now would say, "Where you going to ski around here?"
We did not know either...Non-end of story!

Great video, thanks for posting!  Did you skin up the Paradise, or cross over from the Muir side?

Went up Muir Snowfield.  Didn't bother pulling the skins out as the bootback was easier- traversed under Anvil was final destination point. 

I like it when the wind is moderate, keeps you cooler  (onshore flow).  The snow chute (right, first pic looks decent)

Reply to this TR

august-18-2013-muir
Charlie Hagedorn
2013-08-18 19:26:55