Home > Trip Reports > August 09, 2013, Pinnacle Glacier

August 09, 2013, Pinnacle Glacier

8/9/13
Posted by thatoneguydave on 8/9/13 2:28pm
Looking to find a patch of snow all to myself I looked at the Tatoosh webcam on Thursday and spotted my destination.  The Pinnacle Glacier.  I wanted a quick access to snow and some solitude and this worked for both.  The hike was really quick up to the saddle and Along the way I found myself surrounded by flowers.  I wasn't sure how to get to the glacier (looks like a snowfield to me) in the summer as I've only been to this spot in the winter.  I was looking for an easy path to go cross country while following the trail, but nothing showed itself so I continued to the saddle along the main trail.  At the saddle I saw that a less used trail went towards castle peak.  I thought that the closer I could get to the glacier the shorter the bush whack I thought.  After following this trail for 15 minutes I found myself directly on the opposite side of the ridge of the glacier.  I peeked over the ridge like a kid on Christmas, looking around the corner at the tree, and found that the snow was literally 10 feet below the ridge!  Easy!  Got about 4O0 feet of turns, took two laps, and headed out to beat the tourist driving out. 

Easy August turns and fun.  23 straight months.  Woot woot.  Pictures to follow later.  Have some good recon photos of paradise glacier and muir.

Good job grabbing that tour!  Was the tarn at the base of the "Glacier" exposed?

Nice! I was up there for July. Except I skied the south side, and was able to eek out about 20 turns. I thought I was crazy to try it in late July! Nicely done, sir. Did you walk down the Pinnacle Peak trail? Or bush whack it back to the car?

Telemark - the tarn at the base of the glacier was just beginning to melt out.  I would think by now it's there and waiting for an icy dip.

WhiteyWhite - I walked down the trail.  I've learned a few things over the past years and when there is a trail to take, take it, and don't look back.

It was a lot of fun, despite being really simple and easy.  A whole glacier to myself.  I keep wanting to get photos on here, but my photos are about 5 megabytes.

Reply to this TR

august-09-2013-pinnacle-glacier
thatoneguydave
2013-08-09 21:28:47