Home > Trip Reports > August 2, Goat Rocks McCall Glacier

August 2, Goat Rocks McCall Glacier

8/2/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PS44 on 8/4/13 7:03am
Hiked up on Snowgrass trail and after setting up camp continued up on to the saddle below Old Snowy to take a look-see down to left-hand arm of the McCall glacier.  Coverage looked good, weather seemed improving (from mist in the morning to clouds in the afternoon) so I dropped in and had fabulous August turns.  I suspect this snowfield will last for quite a while.  Next day hiked out and skied a teensy lick of snow above Goat Lake.  Mosquitoes were not bad; wildflowers galore.
Love that first picture!  Thanks for the report.  I've never been to the goat rocks.  Maybe it's time.

author=mikerolfs link=topic=29046.msg122256#msg122256 date=1375656869]
Maybe it's time.

I think the best time is mid-July or earlier when the west side has better snow coverage so the passes to the east side giving access to McCall glacier can be reached by skinning.  Or to approach from the east side but more snow would be also helpful.  By now, it is all hiking. 

I just tried to hike up the N. fork of the Tieton, to see what things looked like up there, but was thwarted by the washed out road, so hiked the PCT in stead.  But we could see what looked like good skiing on Old Snowey, thanks for the report, makes me want to try a little harder!

Thanks for that report ps.  As I have not made that approach, what would you say the hike time in is from the Snowgrass TH to the saddle below Old Snowy?  A great destination, and quite underutilized..

Great pics, too,  thanks

in regards to the pretty flower, Mariposa is also a place by Yosemite Nat'l Park

author=davidG link=topic=29046.msg122287#msg122287 date=1375891504]
What would you say the hike time in is from the Snowgrass TH to the saddle below Old Snowy?  A great destination, and quite underutilized..

Right now maybe 1 1/2 hour from the junction of Snowgrass trail and PCT -- there is a large snowfield below the final ridge approaching the saddle, and after that about 1/2 hour carry on a rocky trail (OK in skiing boots).  Definitely a great place with lots of skiing lines; drive from Seattle is long, though.  Regardless, this place gets mobbed by hikers on weekends.

For anyone heading that direction, here's an aerial photo from Monday:

Reply to this TR

august-2-goat-rocks-mccall-glacier
PS44
2013-08-04 14:03:22