Home > Trip Reports > July 31, 2013, Paradise Glacier

July 31, 2013, Paradise Glacier

7/31/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoholic on 8/1/13 5:31am
Needing some July turns I headed up after work to ski the with the intention of Staying around till midnight to knock off August as well. Mother nature had other ideas. Rain started coming down about Sluiskin's chair so I started moving quick. By the time I got to the toe of the Paradise glacier clouds were pouring over Little T and Lightning was pounding the Tatoosh. Time to bail. Got stuck in the middle of the gnarliest lightning storm I've been in. Had to ditch skis and hide besides boulders while lightning struck all around me for about 45 minutes.  Got soaked to the bone and cold.  I will not soon forget my (few) July turns.  Had to walk to 6000' then mixed skinning and boulder hops till the glacier. Conditions on the glacier looked good, the bumps and old ski tracks appeared to have flattened out. Wish I could have skied it.  No Mosquito's.
That is quite the day in the mountains.  Sounds like you should have called in sick to work and gotten out earlier....

Wow--that is harsh!!!!

Always appreciate the most important MOSQUITO REPORT too.

That happened to me many years ago in white mnts of NH-
We got pinned down on the top of Tuckermans Ravine by multiple lightning bolts all around us!
(forcast that day was for partly cloudy)
My buddy got knocked off his feet by the first strike, a near miss!
It is sooo scary when you are close to the storm and you feel sooo helpless!
I am happy that you endured with out injury!!

Lightning SUCKS! Glad you got your July in... this TAY thing can be hazardous  ;)

Good training for Colorado...

The best laid plans...Hilarious - Sounds like the kind of dumb thing Scott Presho would have done... ;)

We were in the same boat but just above pan point. It was sketchy. I observed the strikes on the Tatoosh and hoped it would run down Stevens Canyon. We had been ascending on snow above the Muir toe for just a few hundred feet, I pulled out a sandwich, cracked a beer and suggested to Chris that we should wait it out and see if it runs east. He quickly suggested we share just one beer and then on his second pull said he was out. We quickly descended on edges and made it back to pebble creek. I walked across the creek to thunderous strikes, hail, rain and stood onto on top my split board and hunkered down. It was incredible. The thunderheads came right up over us, striking under 100yards from my position. The sound was huge, echoing around the canyons. Then it ran up the volcano and turned into a reasonable evening. We were soaked, cold and headed down.

Chuck, I'm glad you made it out without being cryspy crittered.  I was wandering about the folks on the Muir snowfield. There was a film crew from Portland doing a shoot at the location of the old ice caves below the Paradise glacier when the storm hit. They may have gotten some footage. Look for it on channel 9. They were from Oregon Public Broadcasting I believe.

Zack

::)  A handy tool:  Mt Rainier Recreational Weather Forecast

I vividly remember one very snowy day when Regine and I were skiing up on Mazama Ridge above the back bowl, with very low visibility, when the thunder (and, I presume, lightning) started; that was spooky and we descended quickly  :-[; every since then I have refrained from climbing above tree line when thunderstorms are forecast.

Reply to this TR

july-31-2013-paradise-glacier
snoholic
2013-08-01 12:31:41